Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any program to repair a hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

I have a Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.8, HD. About six months ago was running fine, then suddenly the computer started not recognizing it; seemed it wasn't there. I unplugged the cables from all discs to and from the motherboard, cleaned with canned air all the connectors and then plugged everything back. But nothing happened. Then I just got rid of it and placed into a drawer. Today I plugged it again and after ten or 15 minutes finally the computer: WinXP Pro, P4, 240GHz, 960 Ram recognized the HD, but then I right clicked the CheckDisk utility and supposedly started "reading" it. AFter 2 hours of seeing the putter working and working it showed the disc had 0 files, 0 folders and that it was empty; offering me only the format choice. Does anyone know of a good and free program to have it checked? Went to the Seagate site, but all they want is money. Thanks for any help. MB

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eyeballs

eyeballs

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

I had a similar problem agood while ago. I downloaded HIRENS BOOT CD there's 2 programs (among many) called GET DATA BACK for NTFS and GET DATA BACK for FAT
I ran the one I needed and managed to save/recover over 95% of what I had on my external drive
here is the link
http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

Went to the Seagate site, but all they want is money.

What do you mean? Seatools is a free download:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

Downloaded the Seatools but when I clicked to install it the following error occurred:
MSI LAUNCH CONDITIONS FAILED. INSTALLATION ABORTED....
It's there something I did wrong?....something wrong with the instalation manager?...or something I ate?

#5 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:39 AM

TuneUp Utilities and System Mechanic both have an HDD diagnostics tool...

rhino

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

Generally...if one wants to assess the functionality of a hard drive...the manufacturers diagnostic (long test) is the best tool for so doing.

These diagnostics function independently of Windows, do not require installation or a functional Windows...and can be run from CD/floppy.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users