Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

And I Thought It Would Be Sooo Easy . . .

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

Hello, and thanks again to all who recently helped me choose a new laptop; I appreciated your comments. Now for my newest problem: although the laptop is running Windows 7, I'm wanting to do a fresh install of XP Pro using a new OEM disc I recently purchased but am unable to do so. Sadly, I assumed (I know, I know) that I would simply be able to load the XP disc, enter the BIOS and set the boot preference to CD/DVD, then off I'd go. However, I've discovered that since Windows 7 is 'superior' to XP I'm unable to boot from CD with the XP disc. After a couple hours of Googling, and some time checking this site, I've a few ideas to try, but I was hoping that one of you much more knowledgeable posters would have a simpler-swifter-easier method than those about which I've read, and be willing to share it with me. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to reply. Again. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

I guess I would have to wonder why you would want to downgrade to a 9 year old operating system that lacks the security features of Windows 7 (among other things)?

At any rate, you are going to have to use a 3rd party partitioner (like gparted) to reformat the hard drive, and then install the operating system. Then you will have to go to the manufacturers website and download the hardware drivers for your particular laptop. The problem is that there is no guarantee that the hardware will work with XP, or that the appropriate device drivers that will run in XP. I'm assuming that you already checked it out and are sure that your hardware will work with XP?

#3 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

groovicus: thank you for your reply, and thank you for your patience, too. All work and no play . . . and all that. To answer your first question, I like (and understand) the simplicity and tweakability of XP, as well as the plethora of freeware available for it, and it securely suits my needs just fine. As to your second question, I don't know yet, but I sure hope so. My mistake indeed to assume that I could actually pay for an OEM copy of XP Pro and use it as I saw fit. Anyway, if I were to create a new partition using Program X, then find all the drivers and get XP running well, would I then be able to simply remove-delete the partition with Windows 7 (providing that Program X supported this)? If not, then could you please recommend a site-link with information on tweaking Windows 7? Thanks again for your help; I appreciate it.

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 18 December 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:54 PM

I guess the first place to start is to try and figure out what it is about Windows 7 that would cause you to want to go back to XP? Windows 7 really is a nice operating system, and the software that runs on XP will run on Windows 7 with a bit of (easy) tweaking. I will admit that when XP came out, I was very reluctant to upgrade; and when Vista came out, it was a long time before I upgraded. I did not really want to change what I was familiar with. (pardon my dangling preposition). Networking with Windows 7 is a breeze, finding files is so much nicer. Interfaces are much more intuitive.

What sort of tweaks are you looking for specifically? There are tons of programs that will tweak hot-keys, graphics themes, etc., and I would be happy to help you find them.

EDIT: I am reluctant to say that just setting up a dual boot situation with XP will not cause some catastrophic failure. Again, it sort of depends on whether or not XP has the proper drivers to support your hardware. If I developed drivers for hardware, I can't think of a single compelling reason to take the time to write drivers for hardware that wasn't even around when XP was created.

#5 flcmm

flcmm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

I have the same problem. I just purchased a new laptop computer that runs on Windows 7 and I thought I could change the OS to Windows XP without problems, but after some googleling, I realized it's not so easy. I know Windows 7 is much safer and intuitive. Safe is good, but I feel somehow being treated like an infant by W 7 as I like to tweak and make my own decisions and the current OS doesn't give me that freedom. Strange, yes, but I like to control my machine, and not the alternative. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Happy holidays and tweaking! :huh:

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

current OS doesn't give me that freedom

Again, why doesn't it? Specifically what tweaks are you wanting to know about? I keep hearing people pine about lack of tweakability, but so far nobody has come up with an example that illustrates that this is a problem. :huh:

#7 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

Groovicus: thanks again for your patience. I've been thinking about your questions, and I've a few answers. My main concerns are 1) ridding my new laptop of Windows & HP bloatware, and 2) running my frequently used freeware applications in Windows 7. Man, I was so darned excited to install a bloatware-free copy of XP on my new dual-core, 4GB-of-RAM laptop that I never even considered it being difficult, if not impossible. And ignorance is bliss. I guess I can eat the cost of my new OEM copy of XP Pro, but the thought surely annoys me. Presently I'm still using my old single-core, 1GB-of-RAM Compaq because it has all the apps I regularly use both properly installed and configured to my specs. In one of your earlier posts you typed "Windows 7 really is a nice operating system, and the software that runs on XP will run on Windows 7 with a bit of (easy) tweaking." Please, could you point me somewhere to learn how to do this "bit of (easy) tweaking"? As for bloatware removal & tweaking, I always referred to BlackViper's website for digging into the bowels of XP, and I've seen that he now has service configurations for Windows 7 so I should be OK there. Heck, if worse comes to worse I can always use Google to my advantage (ie, "how to disable balloon tips in windows 7"). Anyway, after some time to think about it, I wouldn't be so unhappy running Windows 7, I'd simply be disappointed that I was never able to run a fresh install of XP on a fast(er) machine. Again, I'm appreciative of your time. And Happy Holidays.

#8 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

I keep hearing people pine about lack of tweakability, but so far nobody has come up with an example that illustrates that this is a problem. :huh:

Groove, I think it's a lost cause. People will whine and pine and complain, no matter what, because it's different. Too many people had far too long to tweak XP, and most of them didn't switch to Vista because of the same reasons that they complain about Win 7. It's different and they don't like it and they think it just won't do what they want.

I'm glad you are willing and capable to help with the tweaking and other needs, I just don't have the patience for most of the complaints. Thanks man!

Edited by Eric RBA, 22 December 2009 - 02:28 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#9 flcmm

flcmm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Thank you Groovicus. After reading your post and LouieChukyMerry's, it made me think that I'm probably just ignorant as how to use Windows 7 fully and learning all the corners of this OS will not be such a hard task. I'm guilty of being too comfortable, so, thanks again for the slap. :huh:

Eric RBA, I'm sorry you took the less knowledgeable so personally. The reason we ask stupid questions and feel comfortable doing so is because I had the impression this forum was full of members with lots of useful information ready to share and help. If by being frustrated with my own situation I was offensive, my mistake. Happy holidays.

Edited by flcmm, 23 December 2009 - 12:38 PM.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

First, Windows has a Program Compatibility Assistant that tries to to detect compatibility issues when a program is installed. It works invisibly, unless there is a problem. Should that fail, then once can use the compatibility wizard. I made a video that explains how to use it. It is sort of lame, but it does the job.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/280659/windows-7-program-compatibility-wizard/

#11 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

This is one of many sites devoted to tweaking Windows7 and many other Tweakguides By Koroush Ghazi tweakguides.com

Edited by sleepwalker, 24 December 2009 - 12:31 PM.

#12 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

sleepwalker: thank you very much for the link. I'll check it out right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users