Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Un-partitioning HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi,

I am wondering how to "un-partition" a hard drive without reformatting the entire hard disk. (If its possible..) The reason is because the additional drive (D:\) was originally a recovery drive that contained all of the eMachines recovery/PCAngel information and I have recently replaced the mainboard and operating system, therefore I no longer need the eMachines recovery ap, etc.
I have formatted the entire D:\ drive and it contains nothing. I just can't figure out how to merge it back into one drive (C:\).

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

Take a look at this article:
Unpartition a Hard drive?

Now, you could play safe by formatting the entire hard disk and creating partitions catering to your needs, using the Windows Setup disc.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 16 December 2009 - 10:47 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

Another program which does the job: EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Explore the option for resizing, you want to increase the size of C:.

Louis

#4 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Louis -

Yes, I want to increase the size of drive C: ,

current configuration:

C: 50.84Gb
D: 6.83Gb

I don't see any reason why I need D: since I no longer have the factory installed recovery software.

I just want to merge the 6.83 Gb from D: to C:, eliminating drive D:. Is it possible, if so, is it risky, is the freeware you mentioned safe, and kind of easy?

Another quick curiousity I'm wondering about - My hard drive is labeled as a 60Gb capacity, (ill round c: up to 51gb, and d: up to 7gb so thats 58gb) Where are the other 2 gb?

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

Re hard drive size reported, see Hard Drive Size Differential - http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...php?p_faqid=615 .

The stated capacity for any hard drive...has never been useable capacity in Windows as long as I've had a system (1996) and (undoubtedly) before then.

If you look at the link I provided, you can determine such things as the ease of use.

There is inherent risk in everything in life...those trying to not comprehend such...are doomed to frustration.

A computer is an electronic tool...since power surges, etc. can happen anytime, one can never eliminate the risk of inoperability of such a tool. And that does not even consider possible disruptions caused by malware, files being damaged, etc.

That's why backing up the system...has long been a basic tenet shouted to users from Win 95 days, in my experience.

Louis

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

hamluis is right, no drive be it a flash drive, external or internal hard disk uses its entire capacity. (For eg: a 40 gig HD will only offer 38GB of usable space)

And if you ask me, I'd just leave the D: drive as such and store specific data on it as opposed to having one (C:) drive.

#7 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

I've considered keeping d: and using it for specific storage but was just wondering if it was a simple switch or not in order to be more organized but it sounds like its a really big and time consuming job. So I will probably not attempt.

Thanks

#8 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

Trying to merge them might create issues later.
So you can probably format and partition the drive to your liking, the next time you install an OS.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users