Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msa, a/b/c/d.exe infection - please help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yoshu

yoshu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Dear all,
I've gotten infected (very silly mistake...) yesterday with something potentially quite nasty. I noticed weird processes such as msa.exe, and c.exe so I terminated them. I ran spybot and realised there was also a b.exe and a.exe lurking around.

I also ran adaware...and then finally was recommended to do a malwarebytes scan - so I did and below is the log.

What I'm really worried about is whether there's a residual infection and if there are keyloggers or anything of that sort. For my work, I have a lot of confidential information in this machine, let alone doing personal banking. So wondering if anyone can help me to review my situation please?

LOG last night:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42
Database version: 3374
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

16/12/2009 06:59:22
mbam-log-2009-12-16 (06-59-22).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|G:\|)
Objects scanned: 106835
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
c:\WINDOWS\system32\sshnas.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\ZagrebLand (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSHNAS (Trojan.Renos) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\XML (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Handle (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\forceclassiccontrolpanel (Hijack.ControlPanelStyle) -> Not selected for removal.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSMHelp (Hijack.Help) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Not selected for removal.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowSearch (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Not selected for removal.

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{66BA574B-1E11-49b8-909C-8CC9E0E8E015}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{35DC3473-A719-4d14-B7C1-FD326CA84A0C}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\sshnas.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

------------------------------------------
- Are the ones in bold above ok to ignore?? They are just registry tweaks right??
- Another log from this morning revealed no infection...but is there any way to double-check??

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. Then bullet the immediate notification bubble. Finally, press submit.

Please run ATF and SAS:

Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Note 2: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware, Free Home Edition

Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users