Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win xp format drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 woodliketoknow

woodliketoknow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have a home pc dell dimension 2400 its a few years old but was working fine until a month or so ago, started shutting down or freezing at different times. My son had got his mate to put in extra ram about a year ago and was a marked improvement. anyway his mate had a look at it for us and said he would have to reinstall the os. now when I switch it on it asks what operating system I want to start with and gives 2 versions of win xp pro, which is bugging me plus the picture on the monitor is absolutely massive. I went into display settings but it wont let me move the slider above 640 pixels.
I've been reading a bit about xp here before I registered and am confident enough now to think I can perform some of the tasks people have posted about. Here's what I would like to do
I'd like to format my C drive (to getrid of the 2 versions ofxp) and reinstall xp and get the picture working properly.
when reinstalling xp is there any common issues people come up against that I need to know about.
Thanks in advance for all the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Restoring to Dell factory settings
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

Your other problem was the video driver
Drivers for your model:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

Looks like you have a dual-boot(two OS installations) of Windows XP.

Glad you have taken the right decision to do a clean install.

Simply format the C: drive using the Windows Setup disc and install a fresh copy of Windows XP there.
The process is quite straightforward and should not take more than 45mins to complete.

Installation Guides:
Win XP Installation Guide
XP Installation Guide

After you have successfully installed Windows XP, you should install the drivers (make sure you have them ready) that came along with your PC.

At the end of it, you should have a fully functional PC and definitely be able to change the display resolution.

Good luck!

Edited by ReviverSoft, 16 December 2009 - 09:39 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 woodliketoknow

woodliketoknow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Drivers for your model:

Do I need all 73 drivers?

Simply format the C: drive using the Windows Setup disc and install a fresh copy of Windows XP there.
The process is quite straightforward and should not take more than 45mins to complete.

Installation Guides:
XP Installation Guide

After you have successfully installed Windows XP, you should install the drivers (make sure you have them ready) that came along with your PC.

At the end of it, you should have a fully functional PC and definitely be able to change the display resolution.

Good luck!

Does it matter if I do a factory repair or a reinstall, I know the copy of xp I have is sp3 but how willI know which is the factory one?

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

Drivers for your model:

Do I need all 73 drivers?

Installation Guides:
XP Installation Guide

Good luck!

Does it matter if I do a factory repair or a reinstall, I know the copy of xp I have is sp3 but how willI know which is the factory one?

So I'm assuming it's Win XP SP3 you have in hand?
Simply load the SP3 disc, format the C: Drive through the setup and install a fresh copy of Windows into the C: Drive.

* Once you format a drive, it doesn't really matter which OS you install. *

* Don't forget to get XP specific drivers off the Dell Site. Ones for the essential components like Video, Audio, Chipset etc. should do for now. *

Once you are done with the installation, install the drivers you have ready and your good to go!

Edited by ReviverSoft, 16 December 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#6 woodliketoknow

woodliketoknow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

thanks very much for the advice. I think to be safe I'll get all the drivers and then do the fresh install of xp.
I reckon it wont do any harm except take some time.
I'll report back when I'm done
Thanks again

#7 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

thanks very much for the advice. I think to be safe I'll get all the drivers and then do the fresh install of xp.
I reckon it wont do any harm except take some time.
I'll report back when I'm done
Thanks again

Spot on!

Good luck with the install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users