Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Hanging on Startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Miller

Mike Miller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

Hi everyone, unfortunately my first post here gets to be a problem I am having. I have been an off and on reader for a while but this issue has me stumped.

Here are the details:

Basically the problem is that Windows XP Pro is hanging on startup during the loading screen.

A little background:

About 2 days ago I was browsing the net got a couple of pop-ups that I closed but a minute or so later got a warning that I had a virus, which I already knew was a false report from an malware program, so I dug thru HiJackThis and removed the references to some new stuff that was not suppose to be there. Then I ran my anti-virus(NOD32) over my whole computer, and it removed the programs and such from the windows directory and my profile folders, and asked me to reboot so it could finish. On reboot I got a blue screen with the error 0x0000007b. After going thru and researching that I finally used a tool I use at work occasionally ReImage(reimage.com). It did its repairs, but now I dont get the blue screens anymore, but instead it just hangs on the startup. On attempting to load it up in Safe mode is gets just past MUP.Sys, previously there were two other drivers being loaded after MUP.sys, BMload.sys, and SPTD.sys, however in trying to determine the problem I have disabled both of them from the Recovery Console. But the issue seems to be with whatever driver is being loaded after that.

What has been tried so far:

Basically I have tried booting into every mode(i.e.. Safe Mode, Debugging Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, VGA Mode)
and None of the available options will boot up, they just load past mup.sys and then hang

I have booted it up using the recovery console, and run chkdsk several times, and no errors are found

I have booted using a boot disk with Windows PE and used a remote registry tool to check the startup entries, but everything I know to look for looks fine. (I do not however know where to look for the driver load entries or their load order) I also ran another AV(clamav) just to be sure that nothing was still on the drive.

I have tried using Boot Logging, however that has two issues, first it would only tell me what it has suceeded at, and ones that it tried to load but failed, as it only writes to it usually after the attempt is over, not when it hans during the load., Second for whatever reason it is not writing out the file.

I have taken each and every piece of hardware out sequentially, to determine if it was something hardware related to no avail.

I edited the boot.ini to include the /sos and /basevideo flags to see if that would help me clue in on the problem, but it only shows what has worked, not apparently what it is trying to load.

So now I turn to all of you, cause even having been a network engineer for 10 years this one has me stumped. I know I could just do a reinstall or repair, but at this point it is more of a pride and my being stubborn that I want to get it fixed the old fashion way.

So any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

I would just do the Repair Install.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users