Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing hard drives does gb make a difference?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gimmeice

gimmeice

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Ok so my 500 gb hard drive that was running vista failed and I am running tight on money so I changed it to a hard drive(160gb) that was running XP out of an old computer. Now my usb ports are not working, they worked while the 500 gb drive was in there the computer just wouldn't boot windows, I made a post about it in the vista forum here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279144/vista-wont-boot-i-am-afraid-this-is-the-hard-drive/ before I changed the hard drive. Could the change in hard drives cause the usb issue? I haven't noticed anything else not working on the computer yet and this wouldn't be a big deal but my mouse is usb powered.
Anyway I was just wondering if a lower gb hard drive would make a difference on running things like the usb, any info would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gimmeice

gimmeice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

Nevermind. I don't know exactly what the problem was but I changed back to the 500 mb hard drive to try a few more suggestions, which didn't work so when I hooked the 160 mb back up and restarted the computer my usb started working again. So far the computer seems to be working ok, really slowly of course but working none the less.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

Ok so my 500 gb hard drive that was running vista failed and I am running tight on money so I changed it to a hard drive(160gb) that was running XP out of an old computer. Now my usb ports are not working, they worked while the 500 gb drive was in there the computer just wouldn't boot windows, I made a post about it in the vista forum here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279144/vista-wont-boot-i-am-afraid-this-is-the-hard-drive/ before I changed the hard drive. Could the change in hard drives cause the usb issue? I haven't noticed anything else not working on the computer yet and this wouldn't be a big deal but my mouse is usb powered.
Anyway I was just wondering if a lower gb hard drive would make a difference on running things like the usb, any info would be appreciated.

None.

I suggest you do a clean install of Windows on the 160GB hard disk you are currently using and everything should be back to normal.

Reason: The older drive was being used by the XP system, so XP still retains the hardware info. of that system.
So doing a reinstall, helps Windows detect the hardware change(from the new Vista system) and function accordingly.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 16 December 2009 - 07:21 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users