Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dumb question, I know...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:49 AM

I was wondering, does a firewall continue to guard your computer when you log off, but don't turn off the computer?

I use ZoneAlarm on Win98.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

As long as the resident firewall in enabled, it is running, and whether you are connected to the NET or not doesn't matter. However, its benefits when you are NOT connected are extremely limited.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

So, if I log out of Windows, my firewall is still running, but my computer isn't completely protected?

#4 MajorFatCat

MajorFatCat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:41 PM

So, if I log out of Windows, my firewall is still running, but my computer isn't completely protected?

Yes, but remember that your firewall only protects you from online threats. If you're online, your chances of getting viruses, spyware, hijacked etc are much greater. However, if you have a firewall enabled it should keep out those nasties. A good firewall to have is the one from Zonelabs, (Zonealarm). I find the built-in firewall in windows XP not bad though, it is the one I use. :thumbsup:
MaJoRfAtCaT

In Malware Business

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:13 PM

When you are not online, or doing "on-line activities" like reading previously downloaded Email, your computer is relatively safe; it is not that you are not completely protected, it is rather that you don't need the same high level of protection (hence you scan your hard drive with your Anti-virus).
To conserve CPU usage, I generally exit my resident firewall when I am not online and doing activities requiring a lot of processing, and do so with perfect safety.
Regards,
John

#6 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

Yes, but remember that your firewall only protects you from online threats.

Really? Looks like ZoneAlarm is blocking almost as much stuff while I'm logged into Windows, but not using Internet Explorer.

#7 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:28 PM

When you are not online, or doing "on-line activities" like reading previously downloaded Email, your computer is relatively safe; it is not that you are not completely protected, it is rather that you don't need the same high level of protection (hence you scan your hard drive with your Anti-virus).
To conserve CPU usage, I generally exit my resident firewall when I am not online and doing activities requiring a lot of processing, and do so with perfect safety.

Oh, okay. But what if I'm not logged into Windows at all? Does the firewall block anything then? I know the threat is substantially reduced when I'm not on the Internet, but it looks like ZoneAlarm starts blocking threats as soon as I log in to Windows. I used to keep my computer at the Windows login screen when I wasn't using the computer, but I was thinking maybe the firewall wasn't blocking threats, so I started turning off my computer whenever it wasn't in use. Since I use my computer a lot, it can be a hassle.

Edited by PCIlliterateGal, 18 August 2005 - 11:41 PM.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:43 PM

It may be simply Z/A informing you of application changes made when you updated them, or giving you notice of internal communications between applications. Without seeing what the messages are, I cannot say for certain that it was or was not blocking "threats" or simply doing something else.
If Z/A launches on boot up, anytime you start Windows, it should be running whether or not you are on the Net.
It is a good idea, if you are not going to use your computer for a protracted period of time, to turn it off; this not only saves electricity, but allows it to reset itself (whenever you see the Windows screen, you can assume that some part of the Windows OS is already running or you would not see the screen itself.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users