Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not start up after reinstalling Win XP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zig2be

zig2be

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

I am in some serious need of help.

My Windows XP Home computer got the lsasser.exe worm. I posted my topic in the My Computer is infected.What do I do now forum.

Went thru the procedures to remove the worm. I had a lot of problems in doing so. I could not do the recovery part so I just re-installed Windows. I thought I was doing everything correctly and could see a glimmer of hope because it was installing and going thru the correct motions.

BUT when it reboots I get this mesg on BIOS - Primary 1 drive (c drive correct?) cannot be found Press F1 or F2

In trying to just recovery repair I did a diagnostics test in Bios and it showed that it was not reconized in there. Is there something wrong in the BIOS setup (F2)?

So then if I just press F2 go in there do nothing, hit esc and enter to reboot then I get a BSCD.

Please see attachment of all error codes.Attached File  bleeping_computer_notes.txt   882bytes   17 downloads

I need help. I have been working on my desk top for the past week. I need to get my computer up and running fast. I do have an external back up so most of my files are ok and whatever I lost I am ok with.

Please if there is anyone out there that can take the time and help me get this corrected I would be so grateful.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

primary boot drive should be drive 0. Your notes show this as an 80g seagate ST380011A
If you have another drive it is not seen by the bios. The drive 1 error could mean the master slave jumper somehow wrong or the ide subsystem or bios setting are somehow wrong. Do you have two drives in the computer?

Did you repartition the drive when you reinstalled? Does the drive have another diagnostic or recovery partition on it?

The stop error is the same each time?

Ram that has suddenly gone bad will generate several different stop errors.

Is it a brand name computer? Do you have a retail copy of xp?

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 16 December 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#3 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thank you for responding back to me, I really appreciate it. This nightmare is never ending.

First a few facts.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop. I bought it in 2005. When I bought it it came installed with Windows XP home and Just a few months ago I made back up floppy disks but my floppy disk drive is not working as well
I only have one internal hard drive, a CDRW drive and a DVD drive along with a floppy disk drive.

So to answer your questions, I have 1 internal hard drive. I don't think I repartioned the hard drive. Would I have done that during a recovery install? How would I know if I did? And how can I find out?

Do you know how it should look in the Sytem Setup if I started it up and F2'd it?

Along with the floppy drive not working, I have been having a problem with the cd drive. I can make music cd's and data cd's but as far as using a disk to install a program it won't do that.

So I borrowed the nieghbors XP Home CD and did everything with that on the DVD player. I don't know if any of this has anything to do with what is going on but I figured I tell you. Best know as much as possible.

And everytime I get a BSOD the stop error code is the same. And I will triple check that as well.

How could my ram have gone bad? That lsasser.exe worm? I have been trying to get my desktop fixed for the past 5 days and I am extremely tired, so I am hoping you can help me. Please!

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

ok.
A dell dimension 3000 comes with a recovery partition. It also originally came with an oem dell branded xp home or xp pro or even some with mediacenter edition, but they came with a full version of xp that was tied to the Dell bios so it was pre activated. (did not require a cd-key)

If you post the service tag I could see which one it came with. However, if you don't have the disk it just means you have fewer choices.

Do you have your data backed up?
What kind of disk did you use to reinstall? What do you have that will boot from cd?

If you reinstalled from a non dell cd, you may have damaged the recovery partition. When you boot to setup, depending on the version, you should have seen at least two and sometimes three partitions. If you deleted the partitions and created a new partition, you may have not have the recovery partition anymore.

f-12 I think, will let you boot to the diagnostic partition where you can test your hardware. This also may be unavailable if you installed over it.

If you followed the instructions on this page you should have been ok.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...nt?docid=181316

In theory you can order reinstall disk sets here:
https://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form

But in practice Dell is uninterested in supplying disks if your warranty has expired. But you can try it.

Worms cannot do actual physical damage to anything. Since you are getting the same message each time It is most likely not a memory issue either.

If you reinstalled from a non Dell xp cd you may have made the recovery partition and the diagnostic partition unusable along with your OS partition. This does not mean any hardware is damaged, it just means you will need either a Dell recovery cd (which should not ask for a cd key) or a retail xp cd with a cd key, (the one on the tag will not work in most cases)

This spec sheet for the 3000 shows your computer came with one ide 80g drive on the primary ide master position and a cd and dvd drives on the secondary ide chain in master and slave configuration. This is what your note shows.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1075776

If you see the dell splash screen you can try to get into the recovery partition by hitting ctrl and f-11 when you see that screen. It may take several attempts to get it to work.

If you need more info, just search here for dell 3000. There have been dozens of posts.

More info on the dell recovery partition:
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

#5 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

My Dell Service Tag is 7KQ1P81.

I am going to go through everything again with the information you gave me.

When I bought the Desktop it did not come with a CD. It said to use the System Restore and go through the manual that was installed in my computer.

I borrowed a XP Home CD for a Compaq computer from my nieghbor per the instructions from "Computer Pro" in my other post. It did ask me for the key # and I entered it.

I do have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop as well bought the same time. That did not come with a CD as well and was instructed to do the same as my desktop.

I did make restore floppy disks but like I said before my A drive does not work but I do have an external A drive. Is there a way that I could use the USB external floppy disk drive with the disks to restore?

Is there some sort of way to find out the correct way System Setup in BIOS on my computer should be? I think when I start the computer and go thru everything again I will press the F2 button and write down everything in the BIOS system start up and post it in a new reply for you to look over and tell me what you think.

Well let me get started so I canget back to you. Thanks

#6 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

Another quick question for you... When you talk about partitions, does that mean when they ask me which windows I want to use? Normally there is 1 unless you do a restore/repair and they tell you to rename Windows? Because if that is the case, then I do have a partition. OK now what?

Sorry for all the questions and needing step by step answers. I am tired, extremely tired because I have an issue on my laptop that I am working on and I have been literally working on both computers along with trying to keep up with 2 kids and life. I have only been getting about 3 hours of sleep everyday this week. So if I am a little slow I apologize I just am exhausted and really need to get both computers up and running correctly ASAP

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

I will get into more detail later.

The spec sheet for your 3k shows it has (or had) a zip drive as the slave on the primary IDE chain. It may have died or been removed. The jumpers on most seagate 80g use one jumper for master/single drive and two jumpers for master with slave present.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&~ck=anavml

Check the jumpers on your primary 80g drive. If the zip is dead but still in the chassis, pull the power and ide cable off of it and reset your primary to master single drive. Zip drives, I think, are considered non ata compatible slave drives. I have not seen a working zip for quite a while.

This is probably not your drive but it is an 80 g alpine used in some dell dimensions of that era. Check your drive lable for a similar graphic.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgne...;reqPage=Legacy

#8 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

When I opened the first web site you gave me it was for a Dell inspiron 2200. That is my laptop which is not having any XP problems. I did have an issue with it.eminsion 3000 that is giving me all of XP Problem. Can you post the correct website for that please.

Just check your reply post just to make sure we are talking about the Dell Dimension 3000.

i did not mean to confuse you by mentioning my laptop issue. I only broght that up because I have been working on both and only getting 2-3 hrs asleep at nite. Yuck

I just want to make sure we r on the same page

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

Actually I just clicked on it again and it took me to the 3000 spec sheet.

Anyway just go to Dell support and load in your service tag and browse all the info and downloads available. It is possible you have already been to the 2200 page or had a cookie set for your laptop service tag.

This should be the top menu for the 3000:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

If it is not, just click "change your product" and add the tag for the 3000, and browse the product support column on the left.

The manuals menu item on the left takes you to a page where you can look at the service manual which will tell you step by step how to get into the box and has labeled pictures of what your seeing when you get in there. If you have a zip drive installed you should be able to figure it out.
--------------

other issues.

Using a compaq oem disk probably loaded hp/compaq utilities that look for hooks and hardware not found on the dell. This could be the root of your bsod.

You should try to get into the recovery partition if you can. Ctrl f-11 at the dell splash screen several times may do it.
If not, you can try to locate a dell oem recovery disk for the 3000 series. There are dozens out there ranging from 80.00 to free via torrent. I am downloading one now to see if it is clean and compare it to some I have. Can you burn a cd from an ISO imagefile?
A retail cd with a legal non dell cd-key is also an option but you would need to download the network drivers at a minimum and burn them to cd or flash drive.

If you can burn iso on something, download the ubuntu live cd. If it boots and finds the hard drive, you have eliminated hardware issues.

Just by chance, if you are near Seattle I could fix it for ya. No one seems to enter their city in the profiles...

I will be back in a couple of hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users