Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp crashes when internet conection attempted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 siliconjoe

siliconjoe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:54 AM

i recently spent and entire night getting my computer to access the internet. i have a lynksis router that connects 2 computers to a modem rented by comcast. the owner of the other computer has had many issues with her computer and has developed the habit of turning off the modem immediately after closing her browser wich in turn creates a huge headache for me because i have to go through and reset everything so that the router will recognize my computer. as i was going through this ritual of sorts the other night is when i encountered my problem. when the usual process of resets failed to get me a connection (actually, on the rare occasion that the modem recognized the link with my pc, i was connected, at least according to my local area conection window and was sending a number of packets and recieving almost none but was unable to connect using any browsers or utilitys. could this be due to the fact that i havent installed the comcast disk onto my computer?) i turned on her computer and nothing happened. well nothing that should have any way. when i pushed the power button i could hear the cd roms initialize and the system fan would start but no hard drive "clicks" and when the screan turned on no cmos or windows startup screen would appear. all id get was a blank screen with a cursor. only when i plugged her computer directly into the modem while her comp was in this state did i notice a change. the modem immediately recognized the pc link and her hard drive began working on something. i turned off the computer and restarted it and viola! it started up without a hitch. obviously weary of this chane of events i began installing symantic (corporate edition i think, purchased from the university store nearby) antivirus on to the computer, wich in fact went swimingly until i attempted to update the definitions file at wich point i got the blue screen of doom and the computer crashed. the blue screen of doom at its current state (wich is roughly the same as it was the first time if memory serves me right) went something like this

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

here it proceeds to rant about if this is not the first time this has happened then undo anything that you did before it happened the first time wich i did and it still happened so i decided not to copy verbatem

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xFE792000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF8CD2484)

*** bibbpqs - Address F8CD2484 base at F8CD2000, Date stamp 4263c4d4

Begining dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
contact network administrator and what not

i restarted the computer and sent an error report and actually got a response telling me that the crash was most likely caused by a trojan. i saved the trojan name to notepad but i cant actually access that info because i saved it on her computer. i then downloaded, installed and yes even updated avg antivirus trial version wich found 83 instances of about 4 or 5 different trojans on the computer wich i promptly deleted. i then re-installed symantec and it successfully updated. i then uninstalled avg (this particular women is very paranoid about anything being downloaded onto her computer and i feared the wrath so i covered my tracks. mistake?) and ran a scan with symantec while i reconnected my router and what not, successfully achieving internet browsability status. i then did a little dance and celibrated my victory over the demons. my celibration was cut short though when i caught a glimpse of a blue screen with white lettering. as it stands now the computer will boot up and work fine until any attempt to connect to the internet is made, at wich point it crashes. the good news is that my computer can still access the inernet. if you can offer any insight or advice it would be muchly appreciated. thank you for you time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:41 AM

How are you attempting to access the internet? Is it with the use of any USB device?

#3 siliconjoe

siliconjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:27 PM

no usb device, just a cable modem connected with ethernet cable. it crashes if any programs attempt to access the internet, e.g. yahoo messenger(wich annoyingly enough she has as a start up program with atomatic login) or opening up a web browser. the browser will open but as soon as it starts to communicate w/ the magical moonchkins of server land it crashes. its best not to dwell on that last statement for too long. any attempt to transmit data over the inernet triggers the crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users