Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to create Recovery Disk for Dell Dimension (XP OS)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 QuiteFrustrated

QuiteFrustrated

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

Just to jump right to the point here. I am not having issues with my old PC, however I am purchasing a new one soon and will be giving my old one to my very user-unfriendly little sister who always seem to have quite a bit of computer problems.

I have removed all the files and programs that I don't want to leave on this machine. Ran ChkDsk, Defrag, Spybot, Adaware, Malware, etc..

I would like to create a Recovery CD for this machine so that when she does whatever in the world that it is she does to it to require a repair, I can pop the Recovery CD in and get it done much quicker than I would with a fresh OS reinstall and loading everything (drivers, SP, etc..) all over again.

I have searched online, but keep getting conflicted info on this. Like some sites give instructions requiring the use of a floppy disk which is no good to me as this machine doesn't have a floppy drive, just a DVD/CD read/writer. Anyone have a method that they have used and actually worked?

Thank you so much for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:10 PM

Seems to me...that it would be simpler, if not better, to just install a program that does automatic backups to anoter drive.

XP itself almost takes up 1 CD, who knows how much space would be required for what you propose?

Louis

#3 QuiteFrustrated

QuiteFrustrated
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Seems to me...that it would be simpler, if not better, to just install a program that does automatic backups to anoter drive.

XP itself almost takes up 1 CD, who knows how much space would be required for what you propose?

Louis

Well couple of reasons (or maybe I am just off the right path here)

1 - I live in another state so doing periodic backups of the machine after I give it to her is out of the question. She wouldn't know how or even do it if she did.

2 - I don't know any program that does that. : ( Not overly computer literate myself.

3 - Some of the programs on here, I no longer have the original CD or serial key for. (MS OFFICE, etc..)

4 - If worst came to worst, it would be easier (quicker) for her (or my mom) to just pop in the recovery CD and go from there to restore it rather than do a clean install of XP, then SP2 - SP3, and all the necessary drivers. My mother lives in a rural area and only has dial up internet (yes, it still exists). So without DSL downloading all the drivers and such would take like 2 years. : (

I am mostly concerned with the correct drivers and service pack edition being available on a recovery disk. I can treat the other things like files and programs as minor inconvenience and work around them in the future if need be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users