Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rockfan1a

rockfan1a

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:18 AM

:thumbsup: I get this error often when I click on a link to go to a new web site. It most always says "Cannot Find Server" also. Since this is an impossibility as I'm on a broadband cable connection, I'm not sure where to go and how to approach this. It's been going on for months and I'm at my wits end. I've tried Microsoft's Knowledge Based web site but I can't find anything that helps.
Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:10 AM

Hi is the problem you are having on every site, there could be something blocking them next time it happens follow the instructions and trace everything back making sure you might of missed something.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 macker15

macker15

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

Hiya Rockfan...
Can you get to any site of is it just one or two?....
I suspect its pretty much all. This is As oyu suspect down to a DNS Error.

If you are broadband do you usea Fixed IP address ir DHCP?...(Dynamic...it changes everytime).

Also do you use some sort of Router or wireless setup, or a basic ADSL MOdem??

Let me know and we can fix it. Shouldnt be a major issue..

#4 rockfan1a

rockfan1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:38 AM

I'm using DHCP. It was setup by Time Warner Cable for earthlink.net using Ethernet Rhine II Adapter. I've had these same setup configurations for over a year with never a problem. Haven't installed anything new or changed any settings. I also run scans for viruses, adware, spyware and PUP's. Nothing exciting there. I eventually do get connected just by waiting it out. And although the programs can't find my connection, in the control panel it shows me as connected. In fact, some programs will connect with no problem but for the most part, the majority don't. Thanks for the help. Dorothy

#5 macker15

macker15

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:56 AM

Ok Dorothy...No problem...What we need to do is find out what your DNS setting should be. did your ISP provide you with details of your network setting?...
If So...you ned to check them against what you have setup at the minute..

If you get to a command prompt...this can be din by clicking on start then run which should give you an optiuon to type a programe name to run...
Into this you type CMD (if you are running XP....command if you are running 98)

This will give you a load of numbers relating to your ip address/gateway etc. It will also provide the address for your DNS servers. Ensure this is what has been advised by your ISP. Theymay not have given you the details if you use DHCP. If not dont worry. Simply make a note of the address of your DNS servers.

It May be at some point changes have been made to your network setup...so you need to ensure you have your IP setting on your network card set to pick up DNS from DHCP.
Go to control panel/network connections and select the card you are using. Right click and go to properties and highlight the tcp/ip value. slect properties for this and you should see a page which describes the config of your ip...whether automatic(DHCP) or manual settings. These should both be set to Automatic.

Can you try these and tell me if everything is as described ?....or if the entries are different from what Ive described?

Cheers

DAve

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:25 AM

Try rebooting all your equipment from the cable modem on up to the computer.

Shut everything off, then after about a minute start turning things back on starting with the cable modem, then the router, then the computer.

#7 rockfan1a

rockfan1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

Ok Dorothy...No problem...What we need to do is find out what your DNS setting should be. did your ISP provide you with details of your network setting?...
If So...you ned to check them against what you have setup at the minute..

If you get to a command prompt...this can be din by clicking on start then run which should give you an optiuon to type a programe name to run...
Into this you type CMD (if you are running XP....command if you are running 98)

This will give you a load of numbers relating to your ip address/gateway etc. It will also provide the address for your DNS servers. Ensure this is what has been advised by your ISP. Theymay not have given you the details if you use DHCP. If not dont worry. Simply make a note of the address of your DNS servers.

It May be at some point changes have been made to your network setup...so you need to ensure you have your IP setting on your network card set to pick up DNS from DHCP.
Go to control panel/network connections and select the card you are using. Right click and go to properties and highlight the tcp/ip value. slect properties for this and you should see a page which describes the config of your ip...whether automatic(DHCP) or manual settings. These should both be set to Automatic.

Can you try these and tell me if everything is as described ?....or if the entries are different from what Ive described?

Cheers

DAve

Try rebooting all your equipment from the cable modem on up to the computer.

Shut everything off, then after about a minute start turning things back on starting with the cable modem, then the router, then the computer.

I've tried all the suggestions that were given but nothing is working. In fact it is getting worse. Now I cannot always connect even to my ISP (earthlink.net). I know I am connected as I can see it when I slide the cursor over the Earthlink icon. Also, when I go to the control panel and check the status, it shows that I am connected and that everything is working. It's just that most of the web sites can't see it for some reason. Any more help you can give me would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:02 PM

See if this helps:
Kill DNS Errors for Faster Broadband
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 rockfan1a

rockfan1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

Unfortunately I can't get to the web site you gave me because of a DNS error. This is turning into a vicious circle. Any suggestions? Could this be because of my firewall or security settings?

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:36 PM

Sorry about that, rockfan1ar.
Here you go:

# Try later (after the cache entry has expired)
# Reboot your computer (which clears the DNS cache)
# Clear (flush) the DNS cache manually (run "ipconfig /flushdns")
# Turn off the "DNS Client" service entirely (hurts performance by requiring unnecessary lookups)
# Disable caching of unsuccessful ("negative") DNS lookups (the best method -- see below)

How to turn off unsuccessful ("negative") DNS caching
(Applies only to Windows XP and Windows 2000.)

Unsuccessful ("negative") DNS caching can be disabled by adding three Registry Values (NegativeCacheTime, NetFailureCacheTime, and NegativeSOACacheTime, all not normally present), setting them to zero. Since manual editing of the Registry is a tricky and risky business, I've provided a simple Registry script to do the job.
(Click the link to start the download; save the script to your desktop; and then double-click on it to run it. When you get "Are you sure you want to add the information..." dialog box, click Yes. The script can be tossed into the Recycle Bin after it has been run.)
There is no real downside to making these changes -- just delay if you make repeated tries to an invalid Internet name. (Nevertheless, please note that you use this script at your own risk, and that it's always a good idea to back up your Registry before making any change.)

* Works for dial-up too

Although it may not be as noticeable as on broadband, this problem can occur on dial-up as well, so turning off unsuccessful ("negative") DNS caching (as described above) is also recommended for dial-up.

* If you change your mind

To go back to Windows default behavior, simply remove the three Registry Values described above. Since manual editing of the Registry is a tricky and risky business, I've provided a simple INF script to do the job. (Click the link to start the download; save the INF file to your desktop; right-click on it, and then choose Install to run it. The INF file can be tossed into the Recycle Bin after it has been run.) (See note above before proceeding.)

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users