Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Spell Check

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brickman258

brickman258

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:59 AM

I have Windows XP Pro and using Outlook Express for my e-mail service. In the last few weeks, my spell check is in French and it wants to correct just about every word from English to French. Is there anything I can do to correct this? Please post back you ideas for a fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

Have you recently upgraded to Office 2007?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 brickman258

brickman258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

I bought my computer in 2007 and it came pre-loaded with office 2007. Have been using it til recently with no problem. Now, I did upgrade from IE7 to IE8 not too long ago,could that have caused the problem?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

IE8 is not the culprit.

OE does not have a spell checker, it relies on spell check installed by MS Office
Programs. If you had a previous version of Office and upgraded, the new 2007 files are incompatible with
OE. If you have been using it with no problems until now, I have no clue why it all of a sudden switched to French.

Microsoft is aware of the issue but has no plans to correct it. If you want to use spell check with OE, you will have to
1) uninstall Office 2007 and go back to a previous version
OR
2) install a third-party spell check for use with OE. This is the better option, especially if you purchased Office 2007. You don't want to uninstall it and end up wasting your money after paying for it.

Microsoft article about the issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

And from AnswersThatWork-Outlook Express Spell Check is French after Office 2007 install

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 December 2009 - 06:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users