Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing computer owner name

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cecil671

cecil671

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

A friend gave me an old computer running windows 98 and I wanted to change his name to mine on the system page as the owner.
How would I do this without reloading win 98?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

:thumbsup:

My goodness, this brings back some very fond Memories.

Back then, in my days with Windows 98SE, reformatting and reinstalling on a regular basis was quite an Art. I used to have my HDD set up into two Partitions for it. In the second Partition was a Folder with all the neccessary Drivers for ALL the Hardware on my Machine, just to save digging through Disks for them, also there was a Seperate Folder, with a Copy of the actual WIN98SE Disk, quite Legal. Also provision for saving Data that was needed that would be lost on Reformatting C: Drive where Windows was ALWAYS installed. Also a vital thing was a WIN98SE Start up Disk, on a Floopy Disk for DOS.

That all made it very simple, but was honestly quite a pain in the Butt.

Back to your Question?

No. Only way I know is to Format C: Drive and reinstall WIN98SE, changing Owner Name then, but to clarify why I made my previous Comments, before you Format and reinstall WIN98SE, check it out first? Much better to be prepared for it first?

There are people here that can guide you through with it.

:flowers:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

WARNING!! This involves registry edits!!!

If you wish to proceed, back up your registry before proceeding. If you don't know how see: Demystifying the Windows Registry. Particularly sections 3 and 4 on how to edit and how to back up.

From here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...html#post350976

You can do this. Go into the Registry. (Start, Run, type in regedit.)
When the registry opens, click on Edit, Find. Type in your PC's name and click Find.
When it finds one, right click on the Name value across from where the PC name is, click on Modify. Type in a new name, laptop or something. Click OK.
Repeat this process until you have changed them all.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Use Registry Editor to change the RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner values in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Heed Animal's warning as this is a registry edit!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

Try this: How to Change the Name of a Windows 98 Computer. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users