Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

My friends computer was not working went to the screen that gives the option to start in safe mode normal mode or try last known settings, tried them all. Disabled auto restart and found the blue screen of the death saying:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

0x000000ED (0x86F6F900,0XC0000006,0X00000000,0x00000000)

This is a Dell Dim 2400 on Windows XP Home OEM

What things should I try?

I already tried Fixboot and it did not work

I tried to do chkdsk and it says AUTOCHK.EXE could not be located in the startup directory or the CDROM drive please type the full path for the location of AUTOCHK.EXE

What do I do next?

1. Repair install
3. fixmbr

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 16 December 2009 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

Think this might help you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185
Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

P.S when searching for this error just type in the 0x000000ED and you will find lots of different variations from MS !

Edited by doinmeedin, 16 December 2009 - 08:55 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:56 AM

Think this might help you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185
Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

P.S when searching for this error just type in the 0x000000ED and you will find lots of different variations from MS !

Yeah I tried that before I posted here

DID NOT work still looking for help thanks

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 16 December 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

What kind of computer is it. model and brand if any. The complete model number from the back if it is a laptop, the service tag if it is an oem like Dell, or sony etc...

Did he turn on write caching or make any changes to the bios?

From the error it should be an ide drive and 80 pin cable. but laptops can generate this error too for different reasons. (bent pin, open cable or failed adapter)

This is not a "popular" error with a quick fix that I know of so all the detail you can might help us figure it out.

In general, chkdsk /r could fix some errors but if it is not reading the drive geometry correctly, or it is a partially failed raid, it could eat all the data thinking it is fixing the drive.

If you boot from a linux live cd, and it can mount the volume, you can backup to an external drive. If you move it to the secondary or slave position on another computer running xp, and it mounts the volume and can be read, you can back up the data and then run chkdsk from there.

Does he have a good backup? The original install media?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

If chkdsk /r did not solve it...I would run a hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, after moving all valued data files to another partition/drive.

Chkdsk /r is the routine "cure" for unmountable boot volume errors that are not more serious.

Louis

#6 u3c307

u3c307

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

I recently fix one of my clients, which the hard drive had die. None of the chkdsk /r worked and I just used PC doctor to check his hard drive after and it is dead ususally occur when that message shows or giving you a notice sometimes.

#7 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

What kind of computer is it. model and brand if any. The complete model number from the back if it is a laptop, the service tag if it is an oem like Dell, or sony etc...

This is a Dell Dim 2400 on Windows XP Home OEM

I have made a backup, just trying to see if I can fix it without out reinstalling or making them buy a new drive.

#8 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:41 AM

I pulled autochk off of another computer and put it onto a cd, when the computer said autochk.exe could not be found please type the location. I set it to the cd drive drive that had the cd with the file on it and it worked! It finished chkdsk and I did fixboot then the computer started right up. WOW that was easy just had to try a few things.

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 17 December 2009 - 08:24 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:38 AM

Even thought the automatic chkdsk appears to have solved it...I suggest running the chkdsk /r command, siince it is more complete/exhaustive than the auto chkdsk function.

Louis

#10 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

Even thought the automatic chkdsk appears to have solved it...I suggest running the chkdsk /r command, siince it is more complete/exhaustive than the auto chkdsk function.

Louis

Yeah I ran chkdsk with the /r when I did it. Thanks

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,889 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

Well done...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users