Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome no longer can open text files in a new tab...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:23 AM

Hello all :thumbsup:

Since a few days I am unable to open any text files as a new tab in Google Chrome.

To clarify, this is really annoying, because I have many logs here at BC with attachments. I now have a desktop filled with text files.

This happens only with .txt files. I am able to open .log files in a new tab.

I tried to right click and select Open link in new tab. This opens a new tab, but still downloads the file. I don't want to download the files, I just want to be able to see the content in a new tab.

I looked at my settings, but no luck there. I cleaned all browsing data, cookies and so on, no luck either.

Any help is greatly appreciated :flowers:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:24 AM

I'm experiencing the same phenomenon with Firefox. So I doubt the problem lies with Chrome.

Perhaps something at BC was changed? Would love to get admin input on this :thumbsup:

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:13 AM

This is a change made to BC's forum software to address a potential security vulnerability. The vulnerability has to do with the way Internet Explorer handles .txt files that contain valid HTML, IE renders the HTML rather than display the HTML code. This, as you can imagine, means that there is a potential for malicious mischief if someone uploaded a rigged .txt file.

I modded the forum so that if an attachment is a .txt file it will prompt you to download or open it, rather than just show it in your browser. This will protect our users, and ourselves, from this potential exploit.

Fun Reading:
MIME Type Detection in Internet Explorer
"No, Internet Explorer Did Not Handle It Correctly"
Text as HTML, and a Workaround

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 17 December 2009 - 03:24 AM.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:15 AM

Thanks AA, I see the point (... which doesn't mean I am happy with it :thumbsup: )....

*goes sweeping desktop.....*

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users