Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

whats the best antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 siliconjoe

siliconjoe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:29 AM

in your opinion what is the best antivirus software to use for xp home. i need to buy one and thought i'd ask around before making a commitment. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:31 AM

1. Kaspersky Personal Pro version 5.0.20 - 99.28%

2. AVK version 15.0.5 - 97.93%

3. F-Secure 2005 version 5.10.450 - 97.55%

4. eScan Virus Control version 2.6.518.8 - 96.75%

5. Norton Corporate version 9.0.3.1000 - 91.64%

6. Norton Professional version 2005 - 91.57%

7. McAfee version 9.0.10 - 89.75%

8. Virus Chaser version 5.0 - 88.31%

9. BitDefender version 8.0.137 - 88.13%

10. CyberScrub version 1.0 - 87.87%

11. Panda Platinum 2005 version 9.01.02 - 87.75%

12. Arcavir - 87.73%

13. MKS_VIR 2005 - 87.70%

14. RAV version 8.6.105 - 87.26%

15. F-Prot version 3.16b - 87.07%

16. Panda Titanium version 4.01.02 - 86.27%

17. PC-Cillin 2005 version 12.1.1034 - 85.98%

18. Nod32 version 2.12.4 - 85.66%

19. Command version 4.92.7 - 84.92%

20. AntiVir version 6.30.00.17 - 84.50%

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:10 PM

Many members here at BC, being frugal, use AVGfree or Avast. While these may not have all the bells and whistles of commercial anti-virus applications, they do a perfectly acceptable job in protecting your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Fre...apps-t3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:58 PM

I'd take those results with a grain of salt.. AVG only finding 54%.. riiight. ANd the website speaks nothing of methodology used.

Color me cynical.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:14 PM

*      The test was made on 02-16 April 2005, using Windows XP Professional SP1 on a P4 2600 Mhz, 512MB DDRAM.
    *      All programs tested had the latest versions, upgrades and updates and they were tested using their full scanning capabilities e.g. heuristics, full scan etc.
    *      The 91202 virus samples were chosen using VS2000 according to Kaspersky, F-Prot, RAV, Nod32, Dr.Web, Sweep, BitDefender and McAfee antivirus programs. Each virus sample was unique by virus name, meaning that AT LEAST 1 antivirus program detected it as a new virus.
    *      ALL virus samples were unpacked and the only samples that were kept were the ones that were packed using external-dos-packers (that means not winzip, winrar, winace etc).
    *      The virus samples had the correct file extension using a special program (Renexts) and were unique, according to checksum32 filesize.
    *      Most "fake" virus samples were removed, as well as "garbage" files.
    *      The program PER was not tested because there was no english demo version available.
    *      The programs Extendia AVK , BOClean , VET , Titan , RisingAV and Freedom were not tested because there was no demo version available.
    * The program InVircible did not include a "typical" scanner-function and could not be tested.
    *      The program V-Catch checks only mail accounts and could not be tested.

The following file types were used.

BAT, ΒΙΝ, CLA, CLASS, CLS, COM, CSC, DAT, DOC, ELF, EML, EXE, HLP, HQX, HTA, HTM, IMG, INF, INI, JS, MAC, MDB, MSG, OLE, PHP, PIF, PL, PPT, PRC, REG, SCR, SH, SHS, SMM, STI, TD0, TPU, VBA, VBS, WBT, XLS, XMI, XML.

The virus samples were divided into these categories, according to the type of the virus :

*      File = BeOS, FreeBSD, Linux, Palm, OS2, Unix, BinaryImage, BAS viruses, MenuetOS viruses.
    *      MS-DOS = MS-DOS and HLL*. viruses.
    *      Windows = Win.*.* viruses.
    *      Macro = Macro and Formula viruses.
    *      Malware = Adware, DoS, Constructors, Exploit, Flooders, Nukers, Sniffers, Spoofers, Virus Construction Tools, Virus Tools, Droppers, PolyEngines.
    *      Script = BAT, Corel, HTML, Java, Scripts, VBS, WBS, Worms, PHP, Perl viruses.
    *      Trojans-Backdoors = Trojan and Backdoor viruses.

Edited by yanowhiz, 15 August 2005 - 02:15 PM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

I read that also, but it really doesn't say much. That does not indicate how the test platform was prepared, the age of some of the samples, how the test platform was wiped in between, or the order in which they were tested. Or how many times the test were run. Or if test were run more than once, were the AVs tested in the same order. Or the percentage of each type of virus (com infector, worm, heuristic, etc). How many were actually unique viruses, and not just variants.

If someone is going to make claims about results, then I would like to see documentation of methodology stated in such a way that results could be recreated by any body else. I have a very extensive collection of malware also, but I wouldn't dream of publishing any kind of stats without some extensive dcumentation of precisely how those results were obtained.

Edit: Typos..geesh

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:37 PM

One should also compare this with other AV tests published on the internet, which paint a different story, perhaps because of the databases used or the methodology employed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

In my expirience, i dont reccomend norton. Most of the time its very innefective, and uses far to many system resources.

I tried avg freea nd all those, with little or no luck, they werent very use friendly and configuring advanced options was literally hell.

Right now im currently using zonelabs antivirus+firewall. Its never let me down, and probably never will.

#9 max3808

max3808

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

I paid for and use SOLO Antivirus on my main PC. Been using it for years, ever since Win '98. Really got my money's worth. It's been faithful to my purchase, and it updates its virus list daily, scans and cleans, and I'm glad to say when I use other virus scanners, all come up with nothing to find.
Panda also is good, but you have to pay yearly. I use the Platinum version on my work computer.

Max3808

#10 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

I've used the free AntiVir for years. I've gotten a few warnings from time to time, but never been "infected". Which is exactly what a good antivirus is supposed to do.

http://www.free-av.com/

It's only 13MB.

Support for the free version is just a forum, but I've never had any trouble with it.

#11 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:45 AM

I've been using Kaspersky anti-virus for over than 2 years and I'm pretty happy with it.

Here is a review about this software from Kaspersky Lab.:
Kaspersky Anti-Virus combines reactive antivirus detection methods with the latest proactive technologies to provide your computer with the most effective protection against malicious programs. The product is simple to install and set up, while offering advanced users a range of versatile settings for fine-tuning the program.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 integrates seamlessly with the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems (including Microsoft Windows x64) and is fully compatible with other security programs (for example, firewalls). Version 6.0.303 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
© from here.

#12 kolobob

kolobob

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:12 AM

I think any form of antivirus software is good -- I've tried many different av's -- used free avg for a few years , tried kaspersky, nod32, f-secure, nortons. At present I'm using Mcafee virusScan Plus version 10 and personal firewall plus (build 7.1.13) I'm quite happy with it -- I think it all comes down to each individual -- the ordinary Joe Bloggs is quite happy with the Free AVG while the computer geeks would want something more sophisticated. But there are still fools out there with no antivirus program and no firewall. There is no excuse for this as there are so many free programs available.

Regards
WIN XP SP3 - IE Ver.8
Realtime: Nod32(v4), Online Armor(v3.0), Spyware Blaster
On Demand: MBAM, SAS, ERUNT, CCleaner, Panda AntiRootkit
Posted Image

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

Some recent reviews that I've read seem to favor Kaspersky and TrendMicro. That being said, one of my work computers is infected and TrendMicro isn't doing really well with it.

I've used AVG Free for years without any problems. But, I figure that a lot of this has to do with my caution while surfing the web rather than the capability of the antivirus.

I spend a lot of time on the bad side of the web (doing research) and am more likely to be exposed than most folks. So, I don't click on anything that I haven't asked for (and if something starts to install, I'll shut the system down rather than let it). I also don't open emails unless they've passed my SPAM filter (manually scanned by me) and they've been scanned by my AV. I also use a good firewall with very strict rules.

Edited by usasma, 09 February 2007 - 08:20 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:47 AM

I use Kaspersky and it's worked well for me. I had Norton, it worked good but really slowed down my computer which is why I no longer have any Norton products on my computer. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#15 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:31 AM

I use Avast free edition, does every thing I want.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users