Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

winxp pro driver issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eyeballs

eyeballs

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

I recently installed win xp pro on a couple of friends pc's after the dreaded BSOD and noticed that most of the video, audio and modem drivers were missing( showing up as big yellow question marks in device manager) so I got a corporate edition of xp pro with sp3 slipstreamed into it. I used this disk on a pc the other day and same thing happened(Is this common?) anyway I downloaded all the drivers from the dell site and checked the pc, played cd,played video and connected to the internet all ok. problem I'm faced with now is the owner uses a usb dongle ( from his mobile phone company) to get on the 'net but it wont work on the pc yet if I put it in mine it works fine, I was thinking it was something to do with the usb ports but then how come the keyboard and mouse still work.
next idea was maybe it something to do with the wireless driver, I checked device manager but can't find anything wrong, so I guess I don't know what I'm looking for, so I came here for enlightenment
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer?

Did you install the motherboard chipset driver?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 eyeballs

eyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

As far as I remember its a dell dimension 3000, cant be exact as I'm in work at the moment.
No I didnt install the motherboard chipset driver. I only downloaded the drivers for anything with a yellow question mark in device manager, I assumed all other drivers were ok.
I remembered loading the drivers on his pc thru the usb so the ports are not the problem
If I install this driver do you think this will solve the problem.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

I'm not sure if it will solve the problem but I think it's worth a try.

I would also install all the relevant network adapter drivers.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 eyeballs

eyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

I'm not sure if it will solve the problem but I think it's worth a try.

I would also install all the relevant network adapter drivers.

I don't know if this helps but when I tried to load some of the network drivers and video drivers I got an error saying rcp server unavailable

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

Check if the RPC service is started.

Right-click on My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services. Right-click on the RPC Service and select "Start".

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 eyeballs

eyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

I reinstalled xp and downloaded all the main drivers from the dell website and the pc is running fine now
thanks for the advice
Mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users