Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot up Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tybudd

Tybudd

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Let me give you a full break down of when the issue started to make it more clear.

First I had Windows XP on a IDE 60GB HDD, and 2 300GB SATA Drives for storage, at this point everything was fine, then I uploaded windows 7 Ultimate onto 1 of the 300GB drives, but never eliminated the XP from the IDE drive.

The Now when I reboot my system, I get an error, after the drives are read, the only way I can reach either Operating system is to spam ESC on the Boot up to get the the Boot up menu. Then from here I have to select the IDE drive to boot up from, and then thats when I'll get the message that says, do I want to boot from Old Windows System or Windows 7. At that point I can pick either and everything is fine, but if not I just get the error.

Why is this, what do I do, and what other info do you need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

I heard that Responses were pretty fast here, did I put this in teh wrong category?

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

Dual booting XP and Windows 7:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-...7-xp.html?ltr=D

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

Dual booting XP and Windows 7:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-...7-xp.html?ltr=D

This might work, I"m going to try it when I get off work in a couple of hours, because both my OS Drives have Letters, but are both Labeled as C: Drive

So maybe thats why it's not picking both of them up, and getting confused.

To be continued

#5 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:28 AM

This didn't work, the drive letter wasn't missing, but when I checked them from each OS, they changed accordingly, for example, when I was on the Windows XP drive, the current drive read C:, and the OS I wasn't using read D:

But when I was on the Windows 7 OS drive, then the Windows 7 read C:, and the windows XP drive read as D:

I still went ahead and changed the drive of Windows XP to G while I was on the Windows 7 OS just in case, but strangly I couldn't change the letter of the Windows 7 Drive, not sure if it was because I was running from 7 at the time.

After that change was made I tried it and came up with the same error, this is what the error reads, after drives are detected, and memory is scanned.

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 1F BC 07 F2 E0 GUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0807-060504030201
DHCP...../

Keep in mind that the forward Slash at the end of that error, is animated in a spinning forming, and after every few seconds it creates another period behind it.

Help please!!

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

I don't dual boot, so you are going to have to ask "Brink" what went wrong.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

If possible could you give me the correct spelling of Brink's name, I tried to message that name, and it says there isn't a member by that name.

Thank you

#8 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 02:00 AM

/bump

#9 windows.user

windows.user

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

My understanding of your situation is that you have installed Win 7 in a different drive than XP and you want to dual boot but when you boot the computer you get errors and no boot to either operating system? Is that correct?

Sounds to me that you need a boot manager installed that will correctly locate both operating systems and rewrite the boot sector of the main boot drive to properly point to the operating systems and setup the boot menu.

I had an issue setting up dual boot on a raid drive, had the partition order incorrect and every time I booted I got windows cant find some critical file and halted.
I had to use a 3rd party software to go in and rearrange the partitions correctly and then booting and dual boot worked perfectly.

I have 3 partitions on that computer.

1: XP Pro

2: XP Pro cloned of partition one

3: backup partition

The problem I had with not booting was the order got rearranged during a over haul I did.

1: xp pro

2: backup partition

3: xp pro clone

I just went in and rearranged as I have written in the first ordered list above and everything worked right again.

That is what it is sounding to me that the boot sector of the drive doesn't know where one or both of the operating systems is located at.

Go check out the offerings at http://www.paragon-software.com/products/home/
I use one of their disk management suites and it handles everything I needed including automatically finding all the operating systems that are bootable on all drives installed and adding to their boot manager.

I hope this helped.

#10 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

OK, indeed I will try this out, and will let you guys know if it works as soon as I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users