Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get rid of all these games?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 patzzzwv

patzzzwv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:25 AM

Hello, I am new here, with a new computer. It is a hp Media Center xp. It is ridiculous how many games are installed in and out of the Media Center part. They are in the add remove programs, but I was told by friends that if you uninstall junk that came with the computer it would mess it up. I will never use these games, there must be 50 , probably more, of them installed. So my question is: Is it safe to remove these games or do I have to keep them. Thank You for you time and help. I am not very computer literate and am finding your tutorials very interesting. Thanks again. patzzzwv

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:22 AM

I do not see any harm in leaving the games loaded for they are probably bundled in Windows Media Center and have several shared DLL's. I would just go to the System Configuration Utility and see what is running at startup and do some research to see if it is necessary to run in the background.
Go to Start>Run>(type) msconfig>Enter
Click the Startup Tab and look to see what is checked and see if you can locate them on this page if not do a googlr search and see if they are needed to run in the background.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:52 PM

IF they are indeed games, and are in the add/remove program, and you really do not want them, then you should be able in uninstall the games without any damage to your operating system. The same goes for any other junk applications pre-installed in the bundle.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 August 2005 - 12:52 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users