Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote access

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tyedyeskyguy

tyedyeskyguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

Windows XP
No wireless router
Roadrunner
Firewall on, File and printer sharing, Remote Desktop and UPnP Network are only boxes unchecked in "exceptions".

Is there ANY way possible someone can gain remote access to my computer? Any way at all???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

if it is connected to the internet anything is possible. i assume you are trying to keep people out and you suspect an intrusion. is roadrunner the software for trucking companies ? you will have to explain more of what level of security you are trying to achieve.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:51 AM

IMO if someone wants into your computer and have the skills of some out there they will find a way, but taking the precautions in this link will greatly reduce the chance of it happening.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123660/best-practices-internet-safety-for-2008/

caperdog Road Runner is a ISP in the Northeast.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:58 AM

You can test the vulnerability of your system here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Once you have completed the tests you can do what might be needed to secure it better.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

thanks for the clarification OldPhil.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

GRC.COM is great sit, have used it for years on four different internet security systems. It's a place to start. Have you run any security scans; if so did they find any thing. Is instant messenger turned on. IMHO instant messenger is a security risk. I always disabled my internet until my system booted. Reason was it's so fast in could put some thing on you computer before you system security could load. I really not sure if it is possible, just trying to be secure.
I agree with caperdog there is always a risk when on line or if some one else has access to your computer or is on your in house net. What security soft ware do you have installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users