Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Acrobat new vulnerability

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

A new vulnerability has been found in Adobe Acrobat Reader on 11th december. Versions 8.x and 9.x are known to be affected, other versions may be vulnerable too.
Experts urge to turn off JavaScript in Adobe Acrobat Reader. To turn off JavaScript, Click: Edit -> Preferences -> JavaScript and uncheck Enable Acrobat JavaScript.
An alternative is to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader and install Foxit Reader http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

Reference : http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.ph...lendar/20091214

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

Another vulnerability?

Sheesh.....good thing I stopped with Adobe Acrobat Reader (not to mention that Foxit Reader opens a lot faster anyways).

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

I also have Foxit Reader and it's great! If you install it make sure to uncheck the option to install any toolbars. (When I installed mine it had the option to install Ask toolbar checked by default.)

#4 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

Adobe had better be getting on the ball. It wasn't bad enough that they let a known vulnerability stay alive for 7 months and didn't bother to do anything about it. Now they're latest versions too have vulnerabilities?

I'll be checking out an alternative.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

I fought with it for a few weeks, you can apply the update until you are blue in the face. Copy from another help site!!! My fix was to open the containing folder, C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash where I found Flash10c.ocx (old) and Flash10d.ocx You must get rid of 10c.ocx I went and deleted the whole Adobe mess and still had Flash10c.ocx

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html?promoid=DTEGO

I know this is a little chopped up but it should get anyone through that has the issue!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:53 AM

Good Early Morning,

I have just finished with both Secunia and Adobe. There will be a permanent fix on Jan.12. It will encompass versions 6x 7x 8x to 9.2. If you wish there is a temporary fix on the Adobe website. Hit the link and then your version thats on your machine. It loads a temporary registry change. That will be removed later by the update fix. See the Adobe and Secunia sites for details.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

I uninstalled Adobe reader & Adobe Air 3 mos ago & been using Foxit Free since...no problems for me as I do nothing with my machine except for basic browsing, emails, etc...nothing that requires the advanced bell & whistles available in Adobe. I' uninstalled Foxit 2 days ago & installed Sumatra just to play with it. So far it's OK except for the HORRIBLE yellow it uses for it's GUI:

Posted Image

I'm gonna wait & see if Adobe's "Fixes" work and they get their act together before re-installing Adobe reader...their Security record has been shall we say, less than exemplary lately.

More free PDF readers: http://pdfreaders.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users