Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All search results redirecting via newserversearch.com

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nukoman

nukoman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

Hello Everyone, My first post so point me in the right direction if im in the wrong category.

I downloaded an exe file yesterday which infected me with Antivirus Live.
I scanned the file first with AVG but it seemed ok, After running the file nothing happened and then the file just disappeared.
Then the fun began, I was bombarded with pop ups trying to get me to purchase this virus removal program. It also changed the proxy on Internet Explorer so i was unable to get on any web pages except theirs.
I then downloaded RKill and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which seems to have cured that problem.

Todays problem is that all of my search engine results are redirecting to a site called newserversearch.com and then opening another site. Very frustrating. I need some advise on how to fix this please.

Thanks, Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noob415

noob415

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

I had the newserversearch thing happen to myself just recently. I've tried scanning it with everything and I couldn't remove it, but I seem to have found a "temporary" solution. One thing I noticed is that my Internet Explorer and Firefox both seem to change "newserversearch" into some random anagram. Another thing I noticed is that my Google Chrome was not affected. My only choice was to either abandon Firefox and all the add-ons and use Google Chrome, or find a solution. I decided to rename my firefox.exe into something else just to see if the problem persisted. And lo and behold, the damn bastard finally stopped redirecting my links. So although it may not completely remove the problem, you'll hopefully still have your favorite browser back in working order.

#3 nukoman

nukoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for that tip, Ive renamed the firefox exe file and my search results are now working. It'll do for now but if anyone knows of a permanent solution that would be great. Both AVG and Malwarebytes havnt found the offending file.
Thanks.

#4 noob415

noob415

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

Something I forgot to mention. Your Firefox will always check and ask if you want to make it your default browser. If you like to open links from programs such as AIM, MSN, etc. and have it opened by Firefox, you'll need to edit the registry. Because firefox.exe no longer exists, links you try to open on such programs will not open unless you have another browser set as your default browser. If you don't care, just tell it to stop checking and ignore the next step.

If you want your instant messaging program to open the links in Firefox through a renamed .exe (note: some do not use the default browser to open links), fire up regedit and then go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/http/shell/open/command and edit the location to match your renamed .exe. You can then tell Firefox to stop checking to see if it's your default browser every time you open it up. By doing this, links you open from instant messaging programs will be opened in Firefox through the renamed .exe.

#5 xtempore

xtempore

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

I MAY have found a solution, after trying A LOT of antivirus software.

Try using Trojan Remover...
http://www.simplysup.com/

Good luck. Hope it works for you.

#6 BigSilver

BigSilver

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

At Last, some one suffering from the same problem and with a work around, That works!
Today I have downloaded half a dozen different AV and malware detectors (Avast, GMER, MBR, Spybot, Stubware) and nothing has indicated where the problem is. I was begining to think I was imagining it.

I been searching under "Newserversearch" because if you type this into Google on IE or Firefox then the search display gets corrupted into these variants. Its a tough one because it fights back, stopping Spybot from running unless you run it in Safe mode . but Spybot still doesn't find anything.

At least I can use my renamed Firefox now . :thumbsup:

#7 SladeStyls

SladeStyls

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

Thanks xtempore!! That trojan program worked like a charm

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

nukoman

Please download Kenco.exe by jpshortstuff and save it to your desktop.[/b]
  • Double-click on Kenco.exe to run it (if you get a security warning, click run).
  • You will see a black command window and shortly thereafter, a logfile (kenco.log) will open in Notepad. The log will be saved on your desktop.
  • In order to complete the cleaning process, Kenco.exe may need to reboot your computer.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of kenco.log in your next reply.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users