Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010 removal instructions didn't completely work. What do I do?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lethalaffairs

lethalaffairs

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

I am on a friends computer now which was infected with Internet Security 2010 and it also looks like it is infected with a program called AntiMalware too.

The first thing I did before I found the removal guide for Internet Security 2010 was run Superantispyware. Malwarebyte was disabled by something. SAS found 18 infections. I ran it in normal mode because the computer would not start in safemode.
This computer is running Windows Xp Home Edition.

I then followed the instructions under the removal section for Internet Security 2010.

I first ran rkill.
Then I was able to download, install and update Malwarebytes. I did a full scan and it found 210 things.

I then ran the program you have on here to restore safe mode because before when I would try to boot to safe mode the computer would just restart. I looked in the registry and sure enough safe boot was missing before I ran the program.

I then restarted the computer and was able to boot into safe mode. I was going to run a scan in safe mode but when I went to update Malwarebytes I didn't have an internet connection. I even tried Internet Explorer and that didn't work either.
I tried the repair function in Superantispyware but to try to fix it but every repair I clicked on said it was not allowed by the Administrator. I was logged in as Administrator so I don't understand.

I exited safe mode to see if the computer would boot normally. It booted very very slow. I didn't think that the desktop was even going to load at first because the screen was black and only had the taskbar showing for a very long time. It was worse than when it had all of the pop-ups, the fake Internet Security 2010 and the AntiMalware thing. When the desktop finally loaded it was so unresponsive that I couldn't open anything.

I am now using a UBCD4WIN disc and running a scan with SAS again. What do I do now? This is worse then the virus I just had on my computer.
Is there a way to get Windows to boot like normal and not so slow like it is now? How do I restore the internet in safe mode? What about the other restrictions in safe mode that stopped me from using the repair features in SAS?

What do I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:06 PM

Check the proxy settings in Internet Explorer. Is it set to use a proxy?

#3 lethalaffairs

lethalaffairs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

I am not really sure. I have never had to configure that before.

The internet is working now using this UBCD4WIN disc.
When I boot into safe mode though it doesn't work and Malwarebytes won't update.

The scan I just ran with SAS didn't really find anything else when running it from this bootable disc.
Should I try MBAM again using this disc? Its about a month old and I can't update it.

I don't even know if MBAM is going to find anything else even if I did run it in safe mode.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

In safe mode, open up internet explorer. Click on Tools, Internet Options, Click on the COnnections tab, click on Lan Settings, and tell me if the proxy is enabled. if it is you need to disable the proxy before you can update MBAM.

May want to run rkill.com beforehand in case a trojan keeps enabling the proxy settings.

#5 lethalaffairs

lethalaffairs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

No proxy is not enabled. I am back on the bootable disc now. I tried out firefox and that didn't work either. So much for safe mode with networking support. Something is changed or network support is not starting. Now what?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

can you create a topic in theMalware removal forum with a DDS log and i will take alook.

#7 lethalaffairs

lethalaffairs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

Can I run DDS is safe mode?

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams