Jump to content
Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:24 PM
Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:14 AM
Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:57 AM
Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:32 AM
Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:13 PM
First up, i'm on a Toshiba satellite laptop, running XP Media Center edition 2002. My computer has been acting up lately, and i'm deployed outside the US so i cant bring it to the local computer guru's to fix so i'm trying to do it myself. Unfortunately, i dont know enough so i'm here. The last 2 days i would be working on the computer on Internet Explorer and it would freeze on me, locking up everything including the mouse. I was noticing also that i would be typing or browsing a window and all of a sudden that window i was in would no longer be highlighted/active, like i had clicked outside the window but my hands were not on the touch pad. I started looking at the task manager and had about 43-45 processes running, with multiple examples of iexplore.exe open but only one window of Internet Explorer. I thought this was suspicious so i googled it and did a little research of my own. I could close them, and usually 1 or 2 of them would open back up by themselves. I searched my files for iexplore.exe and found it in 3 places. One was suspect, in a Prefect folder and the file name IEXPLORE.EXE-27122324.pf. Tried deleting this several times as i read it was a virus. Running Symantec, even in safe mode, nothing was found. File would come back after deleting it.
What i ended up doing was downloading Malwarebytes. I tried running this and nothing would happen, so i researched that problem and found that by changing the file name i was able to run the program. I ran the program and came up with one malware, Rootkit.TDSS file found in a system32 file. I restarted after "deleting" the problem, and ran malwarebytes again. Found another instance of this rootkit.TDSS in a registry key instead of a file. At this point, i looked up the rootkit.tdss on google and it didnt look good, so here i am. I have the 2 logs saved from malwarebytes. Not sure where to go from here to get rid of this stuff and back to normal computing.
I've uninstalled IE8, tried deleting all instances of IE but i'm not being allowed to delete everything. I've switched over to using Firefox. I continue to have the issue of whatever active window i'm using, all of a sudden not being active like i've clicked outside of that window i.e. in the middle of typing, i'll have to click back into the window to continue typing. Hope you guys can help. Thanks! I'm new to this, so if i left out important info i apologize.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users