Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost sound after XP repair/reinstall

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 harleysgirl

harleysgirl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hi, hope someone here can help. Here's my story...

My son's eMachines desktop (running Windows XP Home) got a virus, found by Avast, which he told to delete. Avast rebooted the computer, at which point it went into the un-ending boot loop. Some nasty virus out there, see umpteen posts recently all with the same problem it seems.
I read through the forums here to try to solve that issue, with no luck (although tons of GREAT advice here!), so I ended up doing a undestructive repair from the OS disk. Note- during the repair, a dialog popped up that said it couldn't find the folder for the Realtek audio driver, and would I kindly point it in the right direction. Well....the mouse wasn't being recognized and I went to the keyboard and hit the wrong key and told the dialog to cancel. Oh well. Finish the repair and everything seemed to be fine except that there is no sound. I updated Windows and all the drivers, at least the ones I could identify. There is a yellow "?" next to the "multimedia audio controller" to which I cant seem to find a driver. I installed the Realtek HD audio driver, and device manager tells me that its working fine. I've plugged the speakers into something else, and they work. Ive plugged other (working) speakers into the computer, and still no sound. I ran MalwareBytes which found some infected files, did a reboot, still no sound. I made sure Windows Audio was started and set to "Auto" in services.msc . Ummmm, lets see, what else? My next step is to uninstall the Realtek drivers and try to reinstall, and also boot into BIOS to make sure sound is enabled. Oh! I also went to the eMachines site and downloaded all the drivers to his machine from there.
My son records music on his computer and is dying here waiting for me to fix this, so I hope someone has a few suggestions.
Much appreciate your time to read this!
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lomax327

lomax327

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Maybe check the control panel, make sure the sound options are not muted, or the volume turned way down.

Might also want to make sure the system is using the realtek device as the default sound playback.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg
My old sig had lots of info, but it was too long.
My new sig is short, but doesnt say much.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:25 PM

Something to check.

Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Advanced in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only* check if it's unchecked. (if you see Advanced in the panel Volume Control, you won't need to check any other advanced settings.)
If it's unchecked, check it.

Open up a player, add a music file, do you now have sound? If you have to, plug the speakers into every port on the card and see if it works.

*it may have another number. If it does, check or uncheck it.

#4 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

Checked all controls, everything is turned on/up. Yes, system uses Realtek devices. Added music file, still no sound. Still at a loss.......

Edited by harleysgirl, 15 December 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#5 lomax327

lomax327

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

Checked all controls, everything is turned on/up. Yes, system uses Realtek devices. Added music file, still no sound. Still at a loss.......

Maybe try going back to the device manager, where you saw that yellow "?"
next to Multimedia Audio Controller... it would have been in the "Unknown Devices"
section...

If the Multimedia Audio Controller is still listed, and it still has a yellow "?"
that might be the issue. If its still there, right click and uninstall it. Then
Reboot.

If the Multimedia Audio Controller is gone, and the Realtek Device
driver is listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers...
check the properties again to make sure its listed as functioning
properly. If it is, you can try uninstalling it. (if it isnt, you can still try that).

Then reboot, and cross your fingers.

Its possible something got corrupted during your repair install.
It *sounds* like a software issue, most likely. Whether its the
driver itself, or the system files, I am not sure.

It may also be worth shutting the PC down, unplugging it,
opening the PC up an reseating the sound card. While you do that
have a look at it and see if there is any damage, melted or
discolored bits, oxidation(rust), etc.

When you get it all back together, be sure all your speaker connections
are nice and snug, nothing loose, etc.

Edited by lomax327, 16 December 2009 - 11:49 AM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

discolored bits, oxidation(rust), etc.

This will not apply if you do not have a seperate sound card.

#7 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

Maybe try going back to the device manager, where you saw that yellow "?"
next to Multimedia Audio Controller... it would have been in the "Unknown Devices"
section... That "?" is gone now

If the Multimedia Audio Controller is still listed, and it still has a yellow "?"
that might be the issue. If its still there, right click and uninstall it. Then
Reboot.

If the Multimedia Audio Controller is gone, and the Realtek Device
driver is listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers...
check the properties again to make sure its listed as functioning
properly. If it is, you can try uninstalling it. (if it isnt, you can still try that).

Then reboot, and cross your fingers. Still shows as functioning, but did a un/re-install anyway

Its possible something got corrupted during your repair install.
It *sounds* like a software issue, most likely. Whether its the
driver itself, or the system files, I am not sure. Tried replacing the sndvol32 file with a known good one as well (because the volume control icon is now gone)

discolored bits, oxidation(rust), etc. Lol, just got done trying that before I logged onto here, still nothing :flowers: It is a seperate sound card btw, Dynex, but not sure of the model.

When you get it all back together, be sure all your speaker connections
are nice and snug, nothing loose, etc.

I appreciate the feedback. I think I've tried everything I can at this point, so now I guess its off to reinstall the OS. Im just afraid of not being able to validate again, I know MS is very protective of their stuff and I dont want a difficult time from them :thumbsup:
If anyone can think of something I haven't, feel free to chime in^^

#8 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well, did a repair reinstall of XP and still no sound. :thumbsup: (the repair brought the volume control back, and it keeps going to mute on its own, but even after resetting it to unmute, no sound)
What am I missing here??????

Edited by harleysgirl, 16 December 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#9 DownWithMalware

DownWithMalware

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

This really sounds like a driver issue. Which model of eMachines does your son have? Is there any chance you or him could open the case and make sure that it is a realtek soundcard in there (unless this is an integrated sound card). I've only had similar symptoms as yours when I had forgotten to install or installed the wrong driver. Also theres the slight possibility that eMachines by mistake put in the wrong sound card when you purchased it and thats why installing the right audio drivers for your eMachines model produces these problems. Only way to find out is to open your case, I believe.

#10 lomax327

lomax327

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

Label on soundcard was Dynex, eh?

I honestly dont know if that means its using a Realtek chipset...

Other thing to check might be, if you have an add-on sound card...
make sure that the system doesnt also have onboard sound.

If your onboard sound is the Realtek, but you have the
speakers plugged into an add-on card, that could be causing
the issue.

#11 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

There is onboard sound, ports in front and in back, and also an add-on card (the Dynex, with seperate ports). I found drivers for that as well, but still am having issues with no sound from any port. Something weird though, since doing the 2nd repair install yesterday, the volume control self-mutes. I go in and un-mute it, still no sound, but it is back to mute after doing another re-boot (poor machine has been rebooted so much in the last week :thumbsup: )
The model is eMachines W3650

*eternally banging head on desk*

Edited by harleysgirl, 17 December 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#12 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:01 AM

It your registry problems... CCleaner ... analize before detetion.

rhino

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:00 AM

:flowers:

This brings back memories from WIN98SE days? It sounds like you have a conflict.

This could be a very long shot, but, what the heck, you have shown patience all the way through. It may just reward you.

Try going in and deleting all Audio in Control Panel/System/Device Manager, shut down, then remove your add on Video Card, then Boot up.

That should get the onboard Audio working. If not it could point to a MoBo Problem, maybe why the add on Card is in there? Eliminate the onboard first, instead of trying to work on the two together.

If the onboard refuses to work, disable it and shut down.

Refit the Add on Card and boot up. Let Windows find it and do it's thing. If it ask for Drivers direct it towards the Drivers you have for the Add on Card. If it doesn't, you can install them later as an update if you get a Yellow !, but do that by clicking on where the Yellow ! is and updating there.

Try that?

In the old days that was the only way to fix some ESS audio Cards.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 18 December 2009 - 06:08 AM.

#14 lomax327

lomax327

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

My thought here is:

From what harleysgirl said, it seems that windows only had issues auto-detecting the driver for one of the two sound devices.

That could mean that it auto-detected one of them and not the other, OR it could mean that one of them is disabled/malfunctioning and windows cant see it at all. That yellow ? means windows saw the Realtek device, but didn't know what driver it needs.

Abacus is right, however. You cant effectively troubleshoot both devices at the same time, because you wont be able
to tell which audio device is causing the issue.

You need to zero in on one of them. To zero in on the onboard, you can power down and open up the PC and remove the dynex. If you want to focus in on the Dynex (it must be in there for a reason, and this would be my first choice), you can enter the BIOS and disable the onboard sound (be certain to *save* the changes before exiting the BIOS).

Then follow the driver and settings troubleshooting we have already covered.

If that doesnt resolve it, then zero in on the other device. One of them should work.... otherwise you may have a hardware issue.

Edited by lomax327, 18 December 2009 - 03:56 PM.

#15 harleysgirl

harleysgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Ok, here's where I stand......
uninstalled both drivers, turned off comp, opened us, removed dynex. booted up, windows detected the realtek drivers were needed but couldnt find without the cd I copied them to. so, got that installed, went to open WMP and got a "fatal error" msg- "please reinstall this device, error code 1/-3/10200, see doc # 5305". Went to MS site and reinstalled WMP and still have that error and no sound. havent even gotten as far as putting the dynex back in. gonna go search on the error code now to see what I can find. Im ready to just wipe the drive clean and do a fresh OS install, but Im afraid I'll still have the problem because the repair install hasnt worked
(sorry for lack of punctuation and capitals, I feel so defeated :thumbsup: )

I really appreciate the time you're all taking to help me out with this :flowers:

Edited by harleysgirl, 18 December 2009 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users