Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista - Wireless Network Connectivity Issue.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Techguy27

Techguy27

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

Good Morning,

I've been fighting an issue with Vista for some time now, and would appreciate any support that can be offered. I have a HP Pavilion tx 1000 tablet pc that has been connected to a wireless Netgear router for some time without error. There are 2 other tablet PCs connected to the same network both running Vista, only one year newer. (All tablet PCs are running 32 bit Vista Home Premium, SP2.)

The one in question has stopped connecting to the wireless network. The other two PCs have no issues.

Troubleshooting:

Removed and installed wireless network driver from HPs website.
Verified DHCP Client, WLAN Autoconfig services are running.
Reset TCP/IP stack with "netsh interface reset all" command.
Replaced wirless router (Found bad port on router)
Unchecked IPv6 under Connection Properties
Installed USB wireless device and disabled onboard Broadcom WiFi device.
Followed KB article 928233 KB 928233
Taken the laptop to a different location with a Netgear router that had open security.
Plugged laptop directly into router using CAT5 cable. (this works)

Of the troubleshooting done, the only thing that worked was resetting the TCP/IP stack. This would allow me to connect to the wireless router and ping the internet. However, once I rebooted the laptop it would not allow me to connect. This was a temporary fix, that no longer works. Resetting the stack still results in not being able to connect.

When I tried to manually connect it would give me one of two errors. One error "wireless association failed due to unknown reason" The other error I don't see very often is "the router did not reply" or something along those lines. If I see the error again I will record it.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

So I am assuming that in your post where you have the troubleshooting section that none of the stuff listed worked except when you did the reset IP and you plugged it in to a Cat5 cable? Those are the only 2 things that worked?

I would uninstall the wireless card from device manager, uninstall any programs in Add/Remove that have t do with wireless, then shut the laptop down, with the screen shut flip it over with the battery facing away from you, take off the panel on the right side just to the left of the right side battery release. Inside is your actual wireless card, uninstall it. Look at it if there are any issues with it. Replace the cover but not the card, and boot the laptop. While it is booting, take an pencil eraser and lightly rub the contacts or use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. When it boots up let it run a min or 2 then shut it down and replace the card. Install the drivers and what not but use the Windows Zero Config program rather than the ones from HP. Manual for your laptop. Just in case you need it.

If that doesn't work and it wouldn't connect other places 2 options: replace the wireless card with one that will fit in the laptop or get a usb wireless dongle.

Just fyi on the left side I see an external wireless antenna connection, have you ever looked into that? Not that I think it has anything to do with your problem just found that interesting.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:18 AM

Had similar problems on a Compaq laptop this week. Lacking your knowledge and experience, one I completed the troubleshooting procedures with which I am familiar, I performed a System Restore. While I did not learn the cause of the issue, the computer now connects to the Internet via a DSL line.

#4 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

So I am assuming that in your post where you have the troubleshooting section that none of the stuff listed worked except when you did the reset IP and you plugged it in to a Cat5 cable? Those are the only 2 things that worked?

Correct.

use the Windows Zero Config program rather than the ones from HP

This is being done. I usually disable the wireless device software when I can.

replace the wireless card with one that will fit in the laptop or get a usb wireless dongle.

This was one of the troubleshooting steps listed.

I believe it is a Vista software issue due to the fact that the USB dongle (Fresh out of the box, and tested) Will not connect when plugged into this laptop. I feel that I have ruled out a failed wireless device and a failed router. I would like to try a wipe and reload, but this is a laptop with some proprietary software installed. I've seen a thousand posts with people having the same issue with Vista. I'm hoping there is a resolution to be found.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

I am sorry I did miss that step in your list of troubleshooting.

You could do a sfc /scannow at a command prompt with the Vista CD in a drive. It will check all the system files for corrupt or missing files. It might take a little time to run.

You could try a over install of Vista and see if that clears up the issue.

I'm trying to come up with other things you can do besides a format/install.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

lol. Yeah I apprecaite that. I've tried just about everything I can think of as well.

I have not ran SFC. I suppose I should give that a try if there is a corrupt system file. Nothing has led me to believe this yet, but I'm willing to see.

In the mean time, I have decided to copy the HP recovery partition over to a different HDD. I am just wrapping up the restore. We'll see if it works with the factory image installed.

-Thanks

#7 Techguy27

Techguy27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

The restore from the HP recovery partition corrected the issue.

I chose to cut my loses and no longer troubleshoot the Vista issue. I reinstalled my software and moved on.

This issue can be closed.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

Well try a sfc /scannow if it starts again. It might have just been a bad file, but I'm glad it is working for you now =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users