Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java runtime environments

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cotters

cotters

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

I have had my laptop since 2002 and I'm running out of HHD space with all the windows updates, security programmes, etc, etc, etc, that keep piling in. Because of this I am looking for programmes to get rid of and Java, as a large sized program cropped up. I am a regular internet user and tends to be finding out info apart from the occasional foray on YouTube, BBC i-player and certain music sites. I don't watch films or play games online and only occasionally purchase items online. Can I do without Java runtime environments?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:36 AM

Yes. You can live without Java like I do.

Java was a big internet buzz back in 90's. Many websites were designed using java in those days. Since then other technologies have become more popular like Adobe Flash, MS Silverlight. There are some Windows based applications written in Java but they are rare to find.

If you visit a website which requires Java, it will tell you so. Similarly, if you install or try to run an app which requires Java it will tell you to install JRE (Java Runtime Environment) on first run. So you can live without installing Java until the point of time you encounter some site or program that requires Java.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

If JRE is taking to much space on your HD, then it might be a good idea to check to see if there is more than one version installed. Each "update" is cumulative, so you need only have the latest one installed.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

Over a period of time, you could build up a lot of Java. I just removed all of them. It took some time and some of them don't want to go away. Then down l down loaded JRE-6-17 which was the latest one. If you allow Jave to automatic update you could have a tone of them. It will keep adding them and not remove the old out dated ones. If you go to Start/Search/ and type in Jave you will be surprised how many you will find.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:48 AM

I have not had Java on any computer of mine for years and have had no trouble on the internet. At some point I have run across a game or two I couldn't play but they were not anything I was bothered by not being able to play and was able to find a similar one on a different site that did not need it.

There has been nothing I have come across that I really wanted to do that required Java. I find it very easy to live without Java and intend to continue doing so, I do not want it on my system at all.

Edited by Stang777, 18 December 2009 - 01:50 AM.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

Okay I just removed all Java as Romeo29 and Stang777 have done. If I have any problems I will get back. I don't think I will. Stang777 and Romeo29 don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users