Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Malware Removal Forums

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 faith_michele

faith_michele

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

First, I want to apologize for not visiting BC more frequently. It takes some getting used too, not in a bad way.

This is my intro - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1092135

Since that time, I was re-awarded the MS Consumer Security MVP in July. I was on the waiting list at MRU, but SpywareHammer offered me a space in their Malware Removal training and I am steadily learning. I have a great mentor there and while I do join other forums, I was wondering if anyone had any favorites that helped them while they were in training.

Forums I already frequent:

SpywareHammer
PC Pitstop
Temerc
TSF
CoU
MRU
WTT
StopBadware

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thank You,

Faith
Microsoft Consumer Security MVP, July 2007-June 2010

"Fight your fights, find the grace in all the things that you can't change and help somebody, if you can." Van Zant

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

ummmm here?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 faith_michele

faith_michele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:25 AM

ummmm here?

Are you being sarcastic? Yes, I forgot to mention BleepingComputer in my list. I will have to start spending more time here too. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Faith

"Fight your fights, find the grace in all the things that you can't change and help somebody, if you can." Van Zant

#4 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:28 AM

geeks2go

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hi faith_michele :thumbsup: ,

Have you seen the below list from Trend?

Hijack This Forums

ENGLISH

BleepingComputer
SpywareHammer
SpywareInfo
GeeksToGo
Dell Community
Cexx
DSLReports
Safer-Networking
WhatTheTech
Techguy Forums
D-A-L forums
SpyWare BeWare!
TechMonkeys
PCHelp Forum
PCPitstop Forum
Subratam.org
CyberTechHelp
BestTechie
BFC Computer Help
5 Star Support Forums
Soft Hardware
Pctorium
Security Forums.com
DMSetup forums
PCTechBytes
MalwareRemoval
Security Central
Webuser.co.uk
Newbie.org
247 Fixes
Amazing Techs
Atribune
Freedom List
Landzdown
MalwareBytes
Techmonkeys
The Spykiller
Gladiator Security Forums
Security Cadets
Virtual Dr.
Major Geeks
Help2Go
Aumha
The Elder Geek

:flowers:

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

ummmm here?

Are you being sarcastic? Yes, I forgot to mention BleepingComputer in my list. I will have to start spending more time here too. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Faith

lol sry yes I was being a little. this is really the only online place I go. to be honest though, I rarely mess with anti-spyware. If a common anti-virus program won't fix it, I reformat the hard drive. Im not one to spend hours running through the registry when I can simply back up the files and reformat. I even follow this format with my customers. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any favorites that helped them while they were in training.

Back in the Dark Ages when I was first learning (not only about malware but computers as a whole--like what the heck is Windows Explorer), the Big Three were Net-Integration, SpywareInfo and Tom Coyote.

Net-Integration was originally the support forum for Spybot Search & Destroy and the first forum I ever joined. It no longer exists now, but is where I watched Tony Klein and a whole host of other talented people begin to use HijackThis. This was before there was any formal training for HijackThis and malware removal. It is also where I made one of my first forum posts, which was answered by Tony--and which I now consider to be an honor.

SpywareInfo (SWI) is the grand-daddy of them all when it comes to malware removal and the training of others. To this day I still miss the SWI newsletters put out by Mike Healan. If there is one forum to join for those interested in malware removal its SWI. BC would not be what it is today if SWI had never existed and most of the people, with few exceptions, who run training schools got their training at SWI and/or Tom Coyote. It was such a force that it became the the victim of a mass Denial of Service attack that was very difficult to recover from.

As you probably know, Tom Coyote is now What the Tech (WTT). I've never been an active member there for whatever reason but i know it was also one of the driving forces behind what the malware removal scene is today.

All that being said, I'm sure you're in good hands at SpywareHammer. Training in more than one school is discouraged now, but once your training is over, I would suggest joining SWI and BC (if necessary, as Security Colleages) so that you can have access to their resources, along with the handful of other forums you've already listed.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#8 faith_michele

faith_michele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

Thank you all for your responses! :thumbsup:

I am trying to get out and about more.

All that being said, I'm sure you're in good hands at SpywareHammer. Training in more than one school is discouraged now, but once your training is over, I would suggest joining SWI and BC (if necessary, as Security Colleages) so that you can have access to their resources, along with the handful of other forums you've already listed.

Papakid,

Thank you for your advice. It must have been interesting to be involved in malware back in the day and you have must have many battle scars. I have a positive attitude when it comes to learning, plus no one knows everything. I try to learn something new every day. I have registered at SWI.

Faith

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

That's kind of you to say, but in the earliest days I wasn't directly involved because I was still so green with computers, so there were no battle scars--those would come later. When it came to malware removal, I was more of a lurker. HijackThis was gobble-de-gook to me. I just got addicted to watching what Tony and the others that knew what they were doing did with that gobble-de-gook--very fascinating. Gradually I began to see what was being done to help people recover from malware infections.

I didn't get involved until BC came along, and even then it was sort of by accident. But I found out that anyone can do this if they work hard and have sound reasoning ability. I would never have made it otherwise as I've never been much of a technician and don't like the term expert as it smacks of pretension. I'm just a helper. Isn't that the main goal, to help people?

Saying you don't know everything is a good attitude and admirable, in my opinion. The most knowledgeable--and most helpful--people are those who know what they don't know. Even tho I was self-taught when I began working at malware removal forums, I still went thru the training at SWI (under another name--you won't find a Papakid at SWI). I learned a lot and it made me feel legitimate.

BTW, talk about a trip down memory lane--going over the member list to check that the Papakid name isn't being used, I ran across this old thread:
http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?...mp;#entry117276
Hard to believe it was only five years ago--seems like ages. :thumbsup:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#10 Bugbatter

Bugbatter

Forum Deity

• Malware Response Team
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:15 AM

Nobody remembers the Training Academy at CastleCops that opened in 2004 and ran until CastleCops closed?

Faith, while I appreciate your wanting to gather knowledge from all areas, you may not be aware that many of the reputable schools work hand-in-hand at UNITE. While the methods of training may be different, the resources are pretty much the same. I would suggest that you focus on your training, and after graduation join the staff at other forums as time permits.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-

#11 faith_michele

faith_michele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thank you all for the great advice! :thumbsup:

#12 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Papakid, you just sent me down memory lane. Thanks for that. :thumbsup: The big three, I couldn't agree more. Those three forums, were my haunts back in the day. I have many fond memories of my beginnings at each of those. NI is where I first got involved in a staff capacity, I was invited to join the Team Spybot not long after I started helping there. Spybot and its Team still have a special place in my heart.

Things evolve and change, and so does the online forum landscape. Many other forums have since come and gone, most have had some kind of impact on the scene as a whole. What drives each of us, is exactly what Papakid said: the desire to help. Where you choose to hang your hat, is up to personal preference.

@Bugbatter, many do. While I was never really active there, I did read some there and ComputerCops was a place to be back then as well. (It will always be remembered, for me at least, as ComputerCops, and not CastleCops - much preferred the old name, was more apropos).
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users