Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2008 Install help - Gateway DX4300-09/AMD780G

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jonas914

jonas914

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

Hi everyone. Maybe some advice wouldn't hurt either, but here's my question first, what I'm doing, second...

I'm about to purchase a Gateway DX4300-09 desktop that comes with Vista Home 64bit.
I want to install Windows Server 2008.
Obviously, Gateway isn't going to help me. I've done as much searching on the net I could, and I can't find anything 100% certain that I will be able to put Server 08 on it. The motherboard is based on the AMD 780G Chipset, and its an Athlon Dual Core processor.
Built-in Video and Network, etc...

I read that with Server 08 that most Vista and Win7 drivers SHOULD work, so I'm tempted to give it a try, but I didn't want to waste the money if it might not work.

HERE'S WHAT I WANT TO DO:
I want to run a Windows-based server to host Web/FTP/Exchange email.
I also want to use it as a file-sharing server for my home network, "media-center" to my TV and stream stuff to my PS3.
First and foremost, I have to make it replace my current Win2K server with Exchange to do Web/FTP/Email.
I am not 100% bound to IIS or the Windows web-hosting stuff, its just the Exchange part that I like the most because the interface to outlook, calendars, and OWA access is nice.

I'm trying to make this a sub-$400 server, so this Gateway DX4300 might be perfect, but I just gotta know if it'll really run Windows 2008.

Any advice is openly received and appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuria

samuria

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

The way forward is go for it as long as you get the drivers there shouldnt be a problem if there is you can install Virtual box for free and run it as a virtual pc which is guaranteed to work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users