Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem with Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, Help please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roncoallstar

roncoallstar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:42 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop with a Radeon Mobility 7500 video card and a Sigma Tel Audio sound card.

A few months ago there was a little bit of beer spilled onto the keyboard and soaked into who knows what. It seemed to have no effect for a few weeks and the computer worked fine. Then it started acting strange when I would try to play games on it, stuttering mostly. This laptop has been through alot and has never had a fresh Windows install and a format so I decided to do it hoping that it would clear up whatever problem it was having.

I have done a fresh install with all of the drivers and Windows SP3 etc., and it seems the problem still exists. CPU usage is all over the place and the laptop runs very slow in general. I want to say maybe it is a hardware problem from the beer that is causing this although I should say a few things I've learned. I run winamp with the milkdrop visualization, and it runs PERFECT. But it cannot run Unreal Tournament 1, I used to run this at full speed months ago with no hitches so this GPU has enough power. I also have trouble running even a Nintendo emulator with my backup NES roms, it stutters. Also apparently I can run DVD movies from a disk on the laptop without a hitch, but when I go to youtube to watch videos, it stutters constantly and seems to struggle. I have done a Norton virus scan, Ad Aware scan, Spybot scan...and nothing.

The last thing I can say is that the Windows boot screen comes up everytime which never happened before and it makes me select boot windows normally every time, even after a full format and reinstall which confuses me because I have always been able to cure problems by re installing windows. This is why I think it may be a hardware issue because nothing is making sense here I have tried everything it seems. I have tried to look inside the laptop to see if there is physical damage from the beer but it is tricky to open. I have heard of a program called HiJack This, that tells you what is wrong with your computer, but I know nothing about using it.

Could someone lend me some help please? Any help is apppreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:46 AM

FWIW,

HighJackThis is a very powerful tool for the removal of malware and it's usage should not be UNSUPERVISED...If you feel that this is a malware issue (and it very well could be) and you want to use HighJackThis you need to open up a new topic in that particular forum and wait for EXPERT help:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

I would check out the event viewer for any errors that may be causing your problems...This may be a hardware issue as like you stated (you spilled beer on it)....Liquids aren't usually user friendly when spilled on laptops...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 JackJoMoFo

JackJoMoFo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

If you haven't deleted the diagnostic partition that dell installs you can bootup to that and run diagnostic test on your hardware. If nothing comes up as that option then you deleted the partition.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hello roncoallstar,

I have deleted the duplicate topic you posted in the HiJack This forum as you posted no logs there. I'm moving this one to the Am I Infected forum where your questions concerning an infection can be addressed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users