Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I May Have Possibly Wrecked the IDE on My Mainboard, PC Still Boots?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hunterman223

hunterman223

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

I was poking around dusting inside the case when i realized the PSU was still switched on. Of course I noticed this when a spark from a 4 pin cable i was connecting to a CD drive fried that drive, and possibly the IDE on my motherboard. When I turn the PC on, the drive's light stayed lit and would not open. I went into the BIOS and none of the drives were detected, same in Windows 7. I have tried all kinds of jumper settings and different cables, and plugged in an IDE hard drive(I have SATA) and still nothing. I have also loaded the defaults for the BIOS. The board is an MSI K9N6PGM2-V. This is a strange problem because the IDE is the only thing that doesnt work. I also tried flashing both of the CD drives, the working one kind of made some noise like it tried to read the disc, but then stopped. The fried one did not respond. Thanks in advance.

Sorry my system info below seems to be outdated, some of those were parts I ended up not getting.

Mainboard: MSI K9N6PGM2-V
Un-Fried CD Drive: Liteon LTR-24102B
Fried CD Drive: JLMS XJ-HD 166S (i think so, off the top of my head)

Edited by hunterman223, 15 December 2009 - 12:29 AM.

ThinkPad T400 (2767-XH6): C2D T9400 (undervolted), 6GB RAM, WD Scorpio Black 500GB, Intel 5300agn, WWAN/Bluetooth, Switchable Intel/ATI 3470HD (overclocked), Win7 Pro X64 SP1
Past, IBM ThinkPad R40

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:29 AM

Can you still use your computer? If so, don't worry about the IED drive, pull the wires and use the Lite on. I have a board just like this.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 hunterman223

hunterman223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

you mean pull the fried drive and use the liteon as master? i tried that and it wont even detect the liteon, or a spare ide hard drive. yes, the computer is otherwise fully functional.
ThinkPad T400 (2767-XH6): C2D T9400 (undervolted), 6GB RAM, WD Scorpio Black 500GB, Intel 5300agn, WWAN/Bluetooth, Switchable Intel/ATI 3470HD (overclocked), Win7 Pro X64 SP1
Past, IBM ThinkPad R40

#4 hunterman223

hunterman223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

ok, i think i have fixed this. i pulled the fried cd drive, set the liteon and spare hard drive to cable select, and theyre detected! so i guess i just need a new dvd drive. thanks audioAl, who inspired me!
Past, IBM ThinkPad R40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users