Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

smitfraud problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sapo

sapo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:18 PM

Hello,

I am a fairly advanced techie, but this one has me stymied.

I am working on a system for a fiend that is running xp home (She has never updated anything so it does not have sp1 or 2).
The system generated the standard smitfraud message ("an error has occurred in IE...") .
Only task manager is accessible (even from safe mode).

I have read several suggested fixes on here but they all have involved desktop accessibility and I have none. I have another working computer to use for Internet access so I can download and transfer files that way (usb drive or cd).

I have removed the hard drive and put it in another system and scanned it with Mcafee and it now comes up clean (but still doesn't work).

I have replaced the wininet.dll file with a clean copy and have run the smitrem tool 3 times (all the way through).
I no longer get the error message, but I just get a plain blue screen still no access to anything except task manager.

All attempts to run .exe files result in the "windows cannot find..." error.

Any suggestions?

Jeremy Hedges

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:32 AM

I'd try running the following as well on the hdd in question Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip

or

DrWeb CureIT

Build the Ultimate boot CD 4 Windows and get the Spybot Plugin here for it and run that on the infected hdd. Spybot when run from the ubcd4win disc will load the registry on the infected PC.

Other than that it might be rescue the data and reinstall XP, but I'd so this with a slipstreamed XP CD with SP2 with it.

Fabs autobackup is also on the ubcd4win which will allow you to back up bookmarks etc... and restore them later, here's the windows version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users