Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message on booting up HP desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Have an HP desktop running windows vista. Lately, about a week, whenever I boot up the computer I get this message

Error: System fan has failed
Service PC to prevent damage to the system
Press F2 to continue

When I press F2 to continue, the computer boots up properly and works well although slowly. So what could be the problem, and what would I ned to do to fix it?

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 16 December 2009 - 11:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hi

Its a setting in the bios to detect a system fan.

Contact HP or install another system fan without the monitor plug and disable monitoring in the bios

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I contacted HP and they recomended a BIOS update which I did but still same error. Funny thing is when I opened the case and looked to see, the fan runs like it should, air blowing towards the CPU, and the tower fan blowing air out of the case. Whats more the computer is acting really really slow. Any ideas?

I restored the computer to factory settings but still the same error and a slow computer

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

Failing CMOS batteries can make the system behave strangely.

HP says, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00013522.

Louis

#5 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

hamluis: i didnt see any mention of failing CMOS batteries on that link, but how would i check to see if the CMOS battery is failing?

Also, when I boot the computer up, the message says system fan has failed. Yet, when I open the case I see the system fan (that is the fan on the CPU) working properly, meaning no noise or any visible variation in speed; the tower fan (the one on the rear of the case) makes a grinding noise though. So I know that the tower fan is probably bad. But the computer says system fan, so then to be on the safe side should I replace both fans. And what else do I need to do to make the computer run faster besides replacing the fans?

Note: The computer has been restored to factory condition so its not viruses that are slowing it down, it has to be something else, I sus[ect heat buildup, but is there anything else I need to check for

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

I'm sure there is a way, but I don't bother to test CMOS batteries.

Since they cost less than $5 and are available anyplace selling electronic/watch batteries, I just keep several on hand. I replace them when I think that doing so might help. If they do, all is well...if not, it's one less item for me to consider.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

If you suspect overheating, take the message at face value and replace the fan.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Louis

#7 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:30 AM

Hi

Try and see: does the fan operate on the fan header, if yes, disable monitoring in the bios.

I had the same problem before I changed the motherboard in a client's HP DX1200.

The Header had failed

#8 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

what is a fan header? And if it is indeed the fan that has failed and I replace it, then will the computer start acting fast again with no fan error showing up? It is the case fan that is making a grinding noise, and not working at a consistent speed

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

The fan header is the motherboard connection for a fan.

Generally, you can connect a fan directly to the motherboard or you can connect it to the PSU.

I generally/always connect the CPU fan to the motherboard, connecting all other fans directly to the PSU.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users