Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

I have a question regarding installing Windows 7. I recently ordered the product and it should be here tomorrow.

The problem I'm having is that there is a virus that I cannot seem to get rid of. Would installing Windows 7 take care of this problem? Or will it just make it harder to kill?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md4urpc

md4urpc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

Do a New install with windows 7 it should delete the Virus and any other programs you have on the computer.

Do a full install should whip the Hard drive clean.

If you upgrade it will keep the virus

#3 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

I have a question regarding installing Windows 7. I recently ordered the product and it should be here tomorrow.

The problem I'm having is that there is a virus that I cannot seem to get rid of. Would installing Windows 7 take care of this problem? Or will it just make it harder to kill?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place

This is totally the right place! Welcome ;)

The previous poster is correct that a full, clean install is safer than an in-place upgrade (which may not even be an option, depending on what editions you're upgrading to and from.) To find out what type of upgrade you'll need to perform, check out this chart: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...iderations.aspx

All that said, a clean install is still no guarantee of eliminating a virus. Supplementing your shiny new Windows 7 OS with powerful Anti-Virus software is a good start. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free package available for download, which will get you started on sterilizing and protecting your new system.

What version of Windows are you currently using? What edition of Windows 7 are you upgrading to?

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users