Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't boot. It gets to select safe mode/normal screen and keep looping.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vince R.

Vince R.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

Hi. I've been here before, but my user name wasn't recognized.

Anyway, as my topic line said, XP won't boot. I can get to the screen where I can choose Safe Modes, Last know good configuration, and Normal, but which ever I select, it keeps restarting to the same screen.

I was infected with these virus that have been going around for a few months, and thought that I got rid of it. My computer has been working fine for the past 2 months w/o any glitches until today. The IE8 was very slow in loading, if it loads at all.

I ran Norton's 360, SuperAntiSpyware, Win Defender, and ESET Free Online Scanner and didn't find anything. I uninstalled IE8, planning a new re-install since I'm not sure if it was corrputed. And now here I am.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ladagosta

ladagosta

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

Hey Vince ,,
I am working on the same issue right now.. my son's friend just stopped in and knew I am dell certified but I haven't had to resolve this sort of issue for some time now.. so I need a refresher course here and I swing through this site now and again to find some of the more difficult solutions.

I know they are a great bunch here.. so lets see if we can get this fixed .. intitially the computer would not go into safe mode nor normal.. and that was that got the blue screen.. stop code and well i got past that by doing this..

I went through the console repair which had it going into windows which I think is what needs to be done now .. after getting it into windows I found malware, Trojans and adware then on restart it is doing the same thing as you describe (looping) so I think my best and your best bet is to get the windows XP cd out and put it in the cd drive and start the computer up.. and press f12 till you get the boot menu then select the cd rom drive and in a second you will be told to proceed press any key.. be sure to hit one fast .. then it will start to load windows set up.. once you come to the screen you want to press enter to continue here.. then press f8 at this screen to accept the agreement and then the next window enter the R key.. and then select the drive which will be windows C which should be number 1
then you want to let the computer do its thing about 40 minutes or so.. and then it should resolve the complete post problem we are having.. you can email me if you wish.. ladagosta at gmail dot com

#3 ladagosta

ladagosta

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:21 AM

aLSO NEVER RUN MORE THAN ONE Virus PROGRAM AT A TIME!!!
THEY TEND TO CORRUPT EACH OTHER AND THAT means they are doing nothing to help protect your computer..

just know this from experience.. ttyl

#4 Vince R.

Vince R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:19 AM

Thanks for your reply, ladagosta. Unfortunately, the problem computer has factory installed XP. I'll have to search for a cd. I'll post when I fix this issue. I'm only running Norton 360 for virus scan and back up, and Defender for daily spyware scan, others are only when needed.

Thanks again.

#5 ladagosta

ladagosta

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:05 AM

was it a generic store or some thing like dell>> Xp install is XP install .. you dont need anything other than that to fix a master boot record or a boot or windows registry just do not go through the complete factory clean install unless you try a fix registry first.. since it is only the boot issue you have and not a windows corruption it is savable with the fix most likely

.. factory installed or not.. even if you have the image for a restore .. you can still use an XP install disk to repair and install without using the image .. once that happens you will only be able to use the CD to restore in the future.. since the image will be wiped out clean .. if it is an ISO image restore then tap f11 until you get the restore screen and walk through it

#6 ladagosta

ladagosta

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

compaq is the only manufaturor that I find is hard to get around sometimes... with the way they do things..

#7 Vince R.

Vince R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

It's a Compaq, but found the disk. So I can choose to fix boot MBR or fix boot and it should be ok? My data will be safe? This is my wife's main computer, and apparently backing up interferes with her web surfing power. :thumbsup:

#8 10fingers

10fingers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

I just had a 6 hr campout with my PC last night fighting worm/virus/trojan one against 3. I'm close but had to do what was said here - find the CD and do the Windows Setup option to reinstall things. I was able to finally boot up again. Haven't lost everything yet. But sounds like your significant other should be fine losing Internet access for a few days as replacement time for the short backup inconvenience. Unfortunately that doesn't comp you for your Geek Squad time fixing it! If you can't boot up, the CD is pretty much your option. Think of it as a skill building opportunity. Merry Christmas to us?

#9 Vince R.

Vince R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Thanks ladagosta and 10fingers. I'm up and running again. Now back to fixing the IE thing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users