Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping works but not HTTP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Knute Snortum

Knute Snortum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

I was at my in-law's house and I was playing computer tech with their laptop and wireless router. I got the laptop to communicate with the router and out to the Internet (Linksys Router, WPA-Personal, TKIP?). I know this because I could ping a domain out of the local network. But strangely, when I started IE (8?) I couldn't get any webpage to download.

Unfortunately, they are now 600 miles away, so I can't check things on their system. I am just wondering if anyone knows what might stop HTTP from working when Ping works fine.

I'll take my answer on the air.

--
Knute

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:33 AM

hi,,,, could be a few things really,,,, the browser its self could be corrupt,,,, try firefox or chrome to rule this out,,,, could be the security with in the browser was set too high,,, click on tools then internet properties in IE i think,,, cant remember as i use firefox,,,,, set the security to medium in there,,, also look in privacy and set this to medium as well while your in there,,,,, then after checking this ,,,, look in the pc's firewall and check its allowing IE through,,, also look to see if the routers f/w is allowing the pc to connect,,,, and just to test if its the browser or the wireless settings in the router,,, connect with an ethernet cable and see if it goes online,,,,,, make sure the LAN card is still enabled in network shearing centre then click on manage network connections on the left field,,, right click the LAN and enable,,,,,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users