Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After booting up windows screen goes black.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Da Salmon

Da Salmon

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hello! I just got a new computer after my desktops harddrive failed, and this new one is pretty good:

HP computer
-----------
I7-860 processor
8GB ddr3 ram
1TB HD
ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics card

Now here's my problem. When I first got it we hooked it up at my friends house using his monitor, and it worked fine. We installed Firefox, and all the other necessities.

When I got it home I hooked it up to my 36' plasma TV via a VGA cable. However I encountered a problem. It will boot up to the "windows 7 booting logo", but after that it just goes black, and my TV says "no signal." Now I've seen this problem before so I had a few guesses on how to correct it. I booted my computer in safe mode, and used run->msconfig->startup and disabled all the startup stuff. I then disabled all the non-microsoft services also. If there was a startup conflict, this would fix it. No dice! It still went to a black screen. So I tried disabling the display adaptor, and that fixed it. However I could not exceed 1280 resolution, or else it would go black again. I figured I should update the ATI Radeon video card, and that might solve the problem. I updated with the ATI websites HD 4600 series driver, and it installed fine. However it still gives me the same black screen. Again disabling the display adaptor solves the problem, but leaves me with a crappy resolution. What's even weirder is when I boot my computer up in VGA mode, I actually get to the password screen, and after THAT it goes black. I'm totally stumped guys! What is causing this problem, and how can I fix it?!

:huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

I had problems hooking to my TV and ended up with a black screen, a fellow on this site recommended pressing the F&N keys the hitting F6. Worked like a charm on XP Pro, not sure about 7.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Err...Why are you using the VGA mode?

Does your GFX Card have a HDMI port? If not, I'm sure it has a DVI port that you can use.
A HDMI connection will produce the best results on a Plasma/LCD TV.

1. If you have a HDMI port on your GFX card, just get a HDMI cable to connect the PC to the TV.
2. If you only have a DVI port on your GFX Card, get a DVI to HDMI connector/cable to connect your PC to the TV.

After, you have your TV connected through HDMI, follow the below guide:
Display Switch

Hope this helps.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 16 December 2009 - 08:57 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 Da Salmon

Da Salmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:21 AM

The F&N+F6 don't seem to be doing anything.

It oddly gives me a signal at the password screen in vga mode, but not any other mode. In all other modes I lose signal when at the password screen. If I disable my video card I get a proper signal, but I cannot go past a really low resolution, or else it will not display properly.

Also if I had an HDMI cord, I'd have used it, but I'd need a 14 foot one, and it'd be a bit pricey. I will upgrade to HDMI for sure, but until then I was trying to work this old VGA cord.

Anybody know how to get a VGA cord to work? I may just break down, and go buy a HDMI cord. Where's the cheapest place to get a nice 14ft one?

EDIT: Also which video card is better: Ati Radeon 4650 HD or Nvidia 8800 GTS? I'm thinking the Nvidia, but that's just because I'm not so much of a fan of ATI.

Edited by Da Salmon, 17 December 2009 - 07:37 AM.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:20 PM

The F&N+F6 don't seem to be doing anything.

It oddly gives me a signal at the password screen in vga mode, but not any other mode. In all other modes I lose signal when at the password screen. If I disable my video card I get a proper signal, but I cannot go past a really low resolution, or else it will not display properly.

Also if I had an HDMI cord, I'd have used it, but I'd need a 14 foot one, and it'd be a bit pricey. I will upgrade to HDMI for sure, but until then I was trying to work this old VGA cord.

Anybody know how to get a VGA cord to work? I may just break down, and go buy a HDMI cord. Where's the cheapest place to get a nice 14ft one?

EDIT: Also which video card is better: Ati Radeon 4650 HD or Nvidia 8800 GTS? I'm thinking the Nvidia, but that's just because I'm not so much of a fan of ATI.

HDMI will produce a much better signal (output) for your TV.

And the 8800GTS clearly beats the HD4650 but AFAIK, the 8800GTS isn't available for the PCI-E interface.
So you'll have to consider the newer options.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users