Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu fan direction?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

This is something I've always wondered, but I've never wanted to turn on my computer with the side cover off.
I have an Athlon II CPU. What direction is the airflow from the CPU heatsink-fan? Does it blow onto the heatsink or away from it?
I assume a side exhaust fan should flow in the same direction.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

This should help:
Cooling Guide
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

This should help:
Cooling Guide

I read it, but don't see what I need.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

I have an Athlon II CPU. What direction is the airflow from the CPU heatsink-fan? Does it blow onto the heatsink or away from it?
I assume a side exhaust fan should flow in the same direction.

A CPU fan should blow air away from the CPU only if you have another fan blowing air to the CPU from another direction.

In most cases, air is generally blown onto the heatsink to cool the proccy and help disperse the hot generated by it, through the heat sink.

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 14 December 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,572 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

It depends on the configuration of the case fans, which direction the CPU fan will draw. But like almost anything related to computers you have supporters of both sides.

See this argument for example: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/170530-29-direction

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

Should my side fan be intake or exhaust? It's directly over the CPU.
Right now, I have it as an exhaust fan. I thinking of changing it to an intake so that it can cool parts of the motherboard as well.

Edited by RainbowSix, 14 December 2009 - 09:24 PM.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

In my experience I have never seen an OEM fan draw away from the heat sink. This includes chip set fans.

I have always followed suit when installing aftermarket coolers.

Cases are designed with airflow in mind. Again, I have never seen front or side mounted fans draw out. Only rear or top mount. However once we start modding them regarding airflow then changing the direction of it may change as well.

FWIW. I buy fan adapters. These are funnel shaped adapters that will allow a larger fan to be mounted in place of the original smaller fan. It also lifts the fan another inch or more higher. In theory this eliminates the dead spot created by the fan hub.

#8 RainbowSix

RainbowSix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

I changed my side fan to intake and my bios says my CPU is 35C. It was 39C before. Thanks everyone for your input.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:36 PM

I changed my side fan to intake and my bios says my CPU is 35C. It was 39C before. Thanks everyone for your input.

With your heatsink fan sucking in cool air for the proccy, the side fan when changed to intake, will only boost the cooling process.
Hence, the cooler core temperature. :thumbsup:

In my experience I have never seen an OEM fan draw away from the heat sink. This includes chip set fans.

That's true.
Only the dual fan AFTERMARKET coolers function the other way around, where the fan on the side blows cool air onto the heatsink while the fan on top sucks out the warm air.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 16 December 2009 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users