Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSN Messenger Breaks Connection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hi,

I'm currently on a Acer Laptop, which is connected to my desktop computers router (wirelessly). My connection is always 4-5 bars, and never seems to have a big problem.

I open MSN Messenger, still no problem. I sign in, and once I'm signed into it, my internet disconnects and my laptop says my connection is "Limited Connectivity". For some reason, my other laptop, and desktop computer then lose internet too.

I must re-start the router to get my internet back. I uninstalled MSN Messenger, and Re-Installed it. Same thing happens.

What do I do? I have a lot of friends on there, so I don't want to never be on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

What make and model of router do you have? What version of MSN is installed? What version of windows is on your laptop?

The fact that other PCs in your house are losing connection too means its something with your router. I am assuming that if you don't log into MSN you can surf just fine.

Does any other PC have MSN running on them? If yes what versions?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:28 AM

What make and model of router do you have? What version of MSN is installed? What version of windows is on your laptop?

The fact that other PCs in your house are losing connection too means its something with your router. I am assuming that if you don't log into MSN you can surf just fine.

Does any other PC have MSN running on them? If yes what versions?

I don't know the model, but the make is Netgear. I have MSN Live Messenger 2009, on Windows Vista Home Premium.

Yes, another computer has the old MSN Messenger, not sure which. (basic one that cant do nudges and custom smilies, etc)

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

If they have the old messenger when they use it I assume everything is fine? I'd uninstall that version and go to http://www.oldversion.com and get an older version. I'd say any of the older versions would be good. Install and see if the issue is still there. I know this is not a fix but a workaround but looking at all the people that have this same issue, a workaround is better than nothing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

If they have the old messenger when they use it I assume everything is fine? I'd uninstall that version and go to http://www.oldversion.com and get an older version. I'd say any of the older versions would be good. Install and see if the issue is still there. I know this is not a fix but a workaround but looking at all the people that have this same issue, a workaround is better than nothing.

I'm not sure, my mom uses the computer with the old one. I'll look into it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users