Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple blue screens Gigbyte MB generic wintel PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hi to everyone!

I'm fixing someones whitebox PC. It is a 5 month old PC with all new, top shelf brand name parts. I didn't build it but I got stuck supporting it. On paper, none of these problems should be happening. It has passed all the hardware and software tests/scans that a experienced tech would run (I'm over 10 years in the field)Here is everything I think you guys need (according to the posts I've read) to come up with a possible diagnosis.

It first presented with multiple bsod's, virus infection, very corrupted hard drive & a VGA mode video distortion error. I called it "Pixel swipe"; it looked like someone took a rake and swiped it across the screen. It only happened during boot or when in the BIOS and only when it was running for a while. Imagine a XP splash screen, made from sand, being raked from right to left. That’s kind of what it looked like. I updated ALL the Nvidia drivers and that seemed to fix the video errors. I ran Seatools for the drive, memtest for the ram, I ran avg & housecall.trendmicro and removed the infected files, ran several root kit / maleware / antivirus scanners. I ran chkdsk/r (sector scan/recovery and it has no bad sectors), I removed all freeware and installed Norton 360 v2.5 and installed an older 80GB HD as a Backup drive (E:\). Updated the MB & component drivers & made sure the OS & all running software are up to date.

It worked for a week then had 3 bsod’s in a day. The video started distorting again so I replaced the video card with an older, less demanding PCIx 'ATI Radeon' card. Ran chkdsk/r again (came up with several corrupted files again).

It ran fine for almost 6 weeks.

Now the bsod’s start again. First few happened at 4 O’clock in the morning so they were undetected. Then a whole bunch while using it. Several one right after another. I determined the only common occurrence is that Firefox was running every time. I leave FF running with multiple tabs open and I eventually start getting multiple FF crashes eventually leading to a black screen (would not come out of sleep) and upon reboot I find it bsod'd twice.

FF is up to date - hell, ever-EVERYTHING-EVERYthing is up to date as far as I know. :thumbsup:

I am calling this a; "intermittent hardware errors caused by unknown incompatibility issues indicating that I should replace the drive and reinstall all the software from scratch" problem

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Vince "PCMatters" Marino

Below is the MS dbug report and attached are minidump & firefox zips
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 X86
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini121409-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 3) MP (2 procs) Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055d720
Debug session time: Sun Dec 13 17:52:13.828 2009 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 4:03:37.515
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {781, c0685c28, e1b23fe4, e1b23ff4}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

1: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
# Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000781, The PTEs mapping the argument system cache view have been
corrupted.
Arg2: c0685c28
Arg3: e1b23fe4
Arg4: e1b23ff4

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x1a_781

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to 804f9f43

STACK_TEXT:
af7e731c 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1b

STACK_COMMAND: kb

SYMBOL_NAME: ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module

IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

BUCKET_ID: ZEROED_STACK

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,132 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:34 PM

Related/same post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/278785/multiple-and-varied-bsods/.

Louis

#3 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

Related/same post at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/278785/multiple-and-varied-bsods/.

Louis

Hi Louis - Did you not suggest I repost it here? Thanks, Vince

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

I just looked at the latest dump - are they all about the same? I will probably not be able to look at more today.

I Googled (yes, Google is now a verb) around for ideas like I know you have, but didn't find anything good yet, but while you are waiting:

Run a test of your RAM (I know it is boring and will cost you a CD).

http://www.memtest.org/

Hamluis reminded me one day that memtest86+ supercedes memtest86.

Here's why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86

You can also reseat your RAM, only use one/two sticks for debugging, etc.

How about heat relations? If you let it sit for a while, does it behave? There are some temp sensor softwares out there but I have no recommendations...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

Already ran memtest+ one pass thru with no errors.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:15 AM

You mentioned it coming out of sleep... What is sleep?

Does that mean standby, hibernation, screen saver, etc. What does being in and coming out of sleep mean to you?

Can you disable your sleeping feature for a while and see how it goes? It is a variable in the equation that can be eliminated. There are a lot of variables, so start eliminating some.

I looked at all your dumps now and want to know more about what this system does when it is idle. Do you just leave it running all the time (or is that your intent)?

It looks like you have some Norton & Symantec stuff installed and are they up to date? Any real time protections going on?
They are loading a lot of things in memory and are not "necessary" for XP to run properly. There are many non Microsoft variables loading that can be taken out of the equation to see if the system lasts longer without them

Try to eliminate as many things as possible in some systematic way to determine if "X" is not running, things work okay.

If you don't leave Firefox running and leave the machine is it okay? I know that is how you would like to leave it and it is not convenient for you of course, but does it still crash if FF is not running at all?

Do you only seem to have problems when you come back to it after a period of idleness?

Please provide more information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Edited by joseibarra, 15 December 2009 - 07:36 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hi J,
“Sleep” means the monitor is on but it’s power light is orange, not green, and the screen itself is black. I have the power settings set to turn off the monitor – nothing else –after 15 mins. There are no other power saving options running in the os or bios.

Everything loading at startup is the bare basic minimal this systems’ owners needs. There is nothing unusual that could be at the heart of these issues. Firefox crashes (or maybe a memory issue - even though they test good).

I’ve been in the field for a few years and have a good sense about these things. I have systematically remarked everything not needed from startup. Originally, the basic diagnostic procedure (eg; process of elimination) produced viruses, hard drive / file corruption & the VGA mode video distortion. I eliminated those problems and it worked – for 5 weeks – then started bsoding again. Either something new started or the chkdsk/r repaired the ailing HD long enough to work for a bit - then, because it is failing, the OS becomes corrupted (there were many corrupt files when I ran chkdks/r again) and the PC starts crashing with the bug checks pointing everywhere. This time it looks like Firefox crashes are somehow related -cause or as a result of the problem, I'm not sure. I have not found any suppot for these crashes (aside from some of them having known bugs associated with them – I think. I’m not too familiar with FF crash resolution procedures) and need the most help analysing the minidumps and the FF dumps.

I ran malewarebytes, the free monthly MS tool, housecall.trendmicro, sophos, RootkitRevealer, drweb-cureit and Symantec online scan for the software. Then Memtest32+, Seatools & Spinrite for the hardware. I ran the superantispyware too – every test is negative.

The client who owns this is ready to scrap it. This was built in late July / August with all new, top shelf parts. I didn’t build it but I’ m supporting it. I made a deal with them. They’re ready to buy a $400 Dell and have me set it up with all they’re software & data from this machine and they’re going to give me this one as payment. I would part it out (they’re all 6 months old).

I don’t know for sure if its not crashing when FF is not running. No – the problems are not isolated to periods of idleness. I had The last two bsods happend while idle w/FF running w/multiple tabs open and the others while doing different things.

Here’s the msinfo32 grab;

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SPEEDYRAF
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model EP45-UD3R
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel ~2999 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F11, 8/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name SPEEDYRAF\Danny
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.74 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.59 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Any ideas as to the cause of the Firefox crashes and what do you think the minidump indicate? Thanks - V

Attached Files

#8 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

BTW: has anyone seen this "pixel swipe" effect on in VGA mode I described in my first post? Thanks, V

#9 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

Also: the temp alarms are on and there is no overheating issue. The memory is all seated correctly. I have not removed sticks, again, the mem tests good and this is new, good hd and eventual bsods from a sitting idle PC is more an idication of a bios configuration or software issue - no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users