Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring a backup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jester6641

Jester6641

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

OK, so my laptop's hard drive went kaput. No new story there. But I was a good little boy and in a panic backed up my data as well as I could. This basically means that I went in and selected everything on my hard drive that I could and dragged and dropped it onto an adequately sized external (which my system will not boot from). Now my loverly computer is running again with a fresh install of WinXP (same as before) and I'm wondering if there's an easy, non-painful way of taking all that "valuable" data that I haphazardly threw onto the external and restoring it to my new hard drive. Copy and paste would be just too easy here (plus I already tried it, it din't work). Is there something I can do to get all my programs, settings and documents back where they should be? I've also tried using the files and settings transfer wizard to get it all off (should have known that wouldn't work!) but to no avail. Any help here could really make my day.

Edited by Jester6641, 14 August 2005 - 01:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

Well if your running a brand new copy of xp, your running a brand new registry, with no keys containing all of the programs and settings you used to have. So, chances are most of the programs will not function right and throw errors at you. Your better off just reinstalling all your programs.

However, have you tried just dragging/dropping your documents?

#3 Jester6641

Jester6641
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:25 PM

The drag and drop thing hasn't worked yet because it gives me a big 'ol "access denied" warning. Not sure how to get around that yet (my old login had a password. Thinking the secret might lie in that). But I do have a copy of my old registry along with all of "Program Files" and the "Windows" directory. Is there any way I can use that data to sorta recreate my whole computer? Second question. Is there any way I could dream of booting off that external drive (I'll work on that part) and use the file and document transfer thingy to bring things over? Would it transfer the programs then? Just thinkin' out loud here.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:57 PM

Hmmmmm, because ive never tried reintegrating a backed up copy of the registry to a new install, i wouldnt know what to telll you. The only thing i can reccomend you on that is for you to back up your fresh registry once more, restore your old registry. And then if you encounter any errors roll back to the new backup.

As for the system 32 thing, you wouldnt be able to just replace the folder. Theres to many registered dll's system files, read only things like that. It wont work.

Now, i dont know why you cant boot up froom your external drive. Have you tried going into your machines bios with the external drive connected and telling it to boot from the external drive?

#5 Jester6641

Jester6641
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:35 AM

OK, stupid of me not to try and boot from the external. Figured out how to do that from the bios. It was tricky and labeled it under "USB Devices" instead of whatever else I had been looking for. Anyways, so it now tries to boot from the external, but i get an error message ("bad OS" or something like that. I will not take this moment to bash MS no matter how easy it would be). So now I'm thinking that I'll make another backup (yes, a backup of the backup if you will) and try and do a restore installation of XP on my non-booting backup copy. If that works, then I've got an extra backup.
Of course if that works and I could get everything to copy and paste over to my original drive, then maybe I'd be able to run a repair installation on XP there and see what happens. However, I'd have to be running some OS on a hard drive that was not the drive I was copying from or the drive I was copying to. Which, again, brings me to the backup of the backup situation. It's not the magic bullet fix I'd wish it was, but it might be a step.
But first thing's first. I can't copy things like "my documents" over because it says that access is denied. Is this some sort of crappy security thing that I'm going to have to deal with? I haven't tried copying from the external to another external to make the backup backup yet, as I'm at work now, but I'll post as soon as I start to figure that out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users