Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Vista Problem - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Menny

Menny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

Hi - I'm desperate for some help, I'd really appreaciate any assistance.

I cannot get my pc to start up and I'm not sure if it's because I recently changed my monitor, I've changed it before with no problems arising but a friend thinks that my problems may be caused by this, I'll explain as clearly as I can.

About a week or so after connecting up my new monitor my pc wouldn't start up, it would start the process but then go to ' boot from cd or disk' and start from the beginning all over again and just repeat this in a loop.

I couldn't even start in safe mode, so I tried to repair using the Vista disk but it would say the problem is not able to be repaired using Vista Repair.

I then (and this is where my immense lack of pc knowledge becomes disturbingly apparent), I then tried to reinstall Vista but couldn't get it to work, I've tried a couple more times and my son tells me I've installed it 4 times now!! So I can get to the screen that allows me to go to the system recovery options and I've looked at the tutorial about command prompt but am a little scared of doing that.

My problem is two fold - firstly I want to get my pc to start up properly (duh obvious I know)

But secondly, how do I remove the other Vista Installations and is it possible to try and access my original installation to get that to work so I don't lose anything, when I first tried to reinstall Vista it said that this was saved as 'old' - so is this accessible and repairable? If this is not possible then I'd be happy just to get a clean version of Vista working again.

I'd be really grateful for any help anyone is able to offer. I'm not sure if I've got a virus or if this is a result of the change of monitor - if I could establish this it might make things a bit simpler.

Thanks -

Menny

Edited by Menny, 14 December 2009 - 02:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

hi,,,, you need to do a clean install,,,, you do this , basically by booting from your vista disc then formatting the drive,,, which wipes it clean and then installing a fresh addition of vista on the drive,,, here's a link on how its done,,,, read it through first then give it a go,,,,,,,,
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117366-c...sion-vista.html
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Menny

Menny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:25 PM

Figgis - thanks for your response, I've followed the instructions exactly, the only problem was that there is no option for me to enter the product key every other step is as in the instructions but when it says windows has to restart it goes straight back to the 'click any key to boot from disk' screen and then goes back into the install vista screen. Do you have any other suggestions?

#4 Menny

Menny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Figgis - thanks for your response, I've followed the instructions exactly, the only problem was that there is no option for me to enter the product key every other step is as in the instructions but when it says windows has to restart it goes straight back to the 'click any key to boot from disk' screen and then goes back into the install vista screen. Do you have any other suggestions?

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:12 AM

hi,,, in the link i posted can you tell me what the number is of the stage you get up to,,,,, ie,,, stage 7 is insert the product key,,,,,
its probably not asking you for a product key as your recovery disc is oem to that machine only,,,, also when the pc restarts assuming the os has been installed do not hit any keys,,,, let it boot from the newly installed os by its self (thats if it got this far),,, let me know how far you got on the install instructions in my link,,,,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users