Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No startup, processor might be dead.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 atazk

atazk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

System:
Hp pavilion dv9005us laptop
AMD turion 1.6ghz
1gb ram
Win XP
100gb harddrive
nvidia geforce G0 6150

My laptop no longer wants to start/boot up, when the power button is pressed i can hear the internal fan start to run, but then suddenly dies. All the lights on the laptop do come on though, there is no screen its just all black. I have inserted cd's and the cd drive seems to run fine, but nothing happens. Also the buttons (not keyboard) volume control, sleep mode,brightness are all responsive. When they are tapped a sort of buzz sound can be heard which means that it is working. Again there is absolutely no boot up just a black screen, and you can here the fan start, but id does not continue to run.

Any help is and advice on what is going on is greatly appreciated.

It looks like i will have to buy a new computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

The Hp dv9000 series is known for all of a sudden not booting or showing a boot screen.

First steps I take are more visual than anything. When you power on the laptop does your screen only stay black or does it look sort of gray ( like a light is on but no text on the screen ) ?

If this is the case, then you probably have nothing more than a defective lcd panel.

The next step I would take if the above is not true would be to plug in an extrenal monitor while the laptop is powered off. Once you have the extrenal monitor plugged in, power on the laptop. If the external monitor does not turn on, try pressing FN-F4 once and once again see if the external monitor powers up. If not, press FN-F4 one more time.

If you now get a picture on the external monitor but not the lcd panel of the laptop, you most likely have a bad lcd cable.

If you still do not get anything on either monitor, I would suggest removing and reseating the memory in the laptop along with removing any other inserted cards.

If you still have no picture on your lcd panel or an external monitor, your most likely culprit is the motherboard itself. In this case, I would suggest a phone call to HP. Even if the laptop is out of warranty, it can't hurt to call them. That specific model may be under some extension to the warranty or may also have some other circumstance that you are unaware of that requires them to fix and or replace the machine.

Hope this helps,

Edited by techextreme, 14 December 2009 - 03:09 PM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

very helpful, i tried to plug in the monitor but nothing. The screen was still all black. (i did not expect this to work, but tried it anyway) That was mainly because the fan begins to start but dies out. Next step would be to call hp and see what they say.

"If you still do not get anything on either monitor, I would suggest removing and reseating the memory in the laptop along with removing any other inserted cards."

you mean doing this myself? I have tried doing something similar with an older laptop, and its a pain. I also could not get it back together properly. I dont want to spend money on this either if it wont work. Especially if i would have to buy a new one anyway, if the call fails.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Compared to older laptops, the memory is very easy to get to these days.

On the bottom of the laptop there is a door that has the memory right underneath of it. Open the door, unlatch the stick/s of ram and then reseat them.
If you still get nothing on the screen, then it's to the phone you will need to go.

Good luck, :thumbsup:
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

i reset the memory, and nothing happened as i expected. i just switched the two memory modules from place. The fan behaved in the same way. Anyway thanks very much for the help.

On another note, just today i got something strange on another laptop (yes my family cant take care of bleep) the laptop is a dell XPS m170, i dont really know the other specs except that it runs Win xp media edition. (ill try to get the specs) Anyway, the AC adapter for the battery had some problems specifically the (from what i was told by a tech place once) the outlet of the laptop was messed up. (as far as i can tell it is not) However, the cable from the laptop outlet to the adapter was somewhat ruined, and had electric tape to keep it together. Other then that there is line down the left side of the screen that went defective(?), its a bluish/greyish small line where no color is shown.

That XPS laptop was being used tonight (16dec) and it flickered to a black screen then back to the desktop. After a few minutes, it turned to a colored fuzz/snow (similar to tv fuzz/snow) the color was rather red/grey/blue (possibly just because of the desktop). When restarted, it booted up fine, did some more black/desktop flickering until it went to the same colored fuzz again. Upon another restart the screen was all black, but as far i could tell everything was running (internal fan was running perfectly) the screen was just black. I disconnected the AC adapter from the computer and booted up, everything was fine, i reinserted the AC adapter and once again flickered once and back to the colored fuzz. I repeated this a few times until i finally just ended up with a black screen. (no windows error or anything) When i try to boot up, the fan starts and runs fine. I even attempted plugging a monitor into the laptop to see if the screen would come up, but it was still black.

Automatic updates as far as i know were not turned on for the computer, so i do not think it was a black screen of death from windows update.

Once again any help/advice is very much appreciated.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

The PA-10 and PA-12 AC adapters with the round plug on them is known to break the DC jack in the laptop and has been known to exhibit these symptoms since their inception. Is it possible the DC jack is bad or "going bad".... Yes. Is it also possible that the "dog ate the cable" and this too is showing a very similar symptom. Absolutely.

What you must first do to rule out the AC adapter is try another one. Ask a friend, purchase another one, just get your hands on one and give it a shot. If you can wiggle it around with the laptop turned off and the battery charge light stays on solid, then the jack is fine but your AC adapter is your problem. IF when you wiggle the plug in the DC jack of the laptop you see the battery charge light flicker on and off, then you are seeing first hand the tell tale signs of a broken DC jack.

As far as the Black Screening and the colors fading, that could be attributed to multiple things but I would not go any further with that until you have your power problem figured out.

The flickering and fading could be: The LCD panel itself, the LCD cable, the Video Card, a Power issue.

Until you have ruled out the AC adapter problems along with the possibility of a DC jack problem, I would not go any further with the LCD problems.

Sorry about the HP laptop not working, but thought that would be worth a try. Time to make a phone call to HP.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

Ok, lets put it another way, the AC adapter and DC jack ARE an issue, but can this issue warrant the screen to not show up? If it is the DC jack i can understand seeing Windows actually booting up (no screen problems) but give me an error, or freeze because of hardware issues. As far as i know a DC jack problem would not affect the screen in any way.

Thank you very much for the help.

#8 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

As far as i can tell its not the ac adapter/dc jack. I took it to a computer place and they said it was ok. I havent tried a new AC adapter yet though (the place i took to did not have the type for the computer)

What are some of the LCD problems/fixes i can try?

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

To be sure your LCD panel is the problem, connect an extrenal monitor to the laptop once again. If it does not show anything when you boot up, try pressing FN-F8 at least once. This should switch the video output to the external connection and turn the monitor on.

IF you get a picture with no anomalies then your LCD panel or the LCD cable will need replaced.

If you do not get anything on the monitor, then it's very possible you have a video card issue. Dell has had problems with Geforce GO 7590 and other Geforce GO video cards in the past.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#10 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:42 PM

i tried the external monitor, but it is also just a blank black screen, nothing happens. Does this mean the video card has failed? if so, what can i do? i have yet to try a separate AC adapter, which i will attempt to address today.

#11 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

Unfortunately what I'm finding in the service manual for the DV9005us is that the video is built-in to the motherboard.

This means that you would have to replace the entire motherboard as one unit to get any video back on this laptop.

There looks to be 2 different part numbers for the AMD model DV9005us laptops. You would either need to look it up using the original HP Part numbers from the motherboard or look it up on HP's Partsurfer website.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#12 atazk

atazk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

that is fine, i was not expecting that one to start up again anyway. (I do not trust hp for anything)

As for the xps, it seems the one I have does have a video card. I was told my battery is defective. (because of the flashing light) I removed the battery, plugged in the ac adapter and external monitor to try to boot up, again nothing but a black screen. I am hoping it is the video card, but because of the layout of the internal parts, i have my doubts. (it appears the video card does not control external monitor output, and because nothing showed up when attempting start up with external monitor plugged in i fear it actually is the motherboard). Also i do not get a POST, which according to dell "No POST, no power" this also makes me believe it is the motherboard. (i have yet to reseat the hard drive)

Edited by atazk, 22 December 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#13 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

Well, unfortunately, it sounds like you're "battin a thousand" with the laptops.

As far as replacement boards for both of them, I've foudn parts-people.com to be a good source for Dells and getpartsonline.com does pretty good with the Hp stuff.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users