Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on the ASUS all-in-one machines?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:44 PM

This might be for a Christmas gift, but I thought I'd check the opinions of people who don't write for (bought by) corporate publications. The user doesn't know about upgrading, maintaining, etc. So, "room to build" wasn't really a thought when selecting this. But I wanted to pull something down that will have a long enough lifespan to justify getting something that I wouldn't have to upgrade later for them (for free, of course).

ASUS ET2002

Also saves them all the hassles of monitors and cables and speakers that would nickel and dime me to death... I don't think I'm being cheap about getting a gift - it is a computer after all - but am I skimping when I should be taking better care of them? Or is this a good computer for someone who needs "nothing special, just so long as I can get on the internet?" for a few years to come?

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum-MG

Edited by garmanma, 14 December 2009 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Reviews :

Liliputing.com Review

CNET Review

Geek.com Review

Slashgear Review

HotHardware Review

User Opinions :

Amazon - User Opinions

Hope this helps. :blink:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

That seems like a lot to pay for a system with an Atom processor.

HP/Compaq and others have similar systems considerably cheaper, I bought my brother (Compaq) one a few months ago.

I don't believe that the Asus system will prove to be "better" than comparable ones.

Louis

Edit: I took a closer look, my comparison was wrong. My brother actually received one of the compact units with an Atom processor.

I personally don't believe in all-in-one philosophies, unless we are talking Swiss Army knives :blink:.

I believe that the problems users have with notebooks illustrate all the reasons that desktops should (IMO) be the preferred article, with separation of components providing flexibility and repair/maintenance faciltity...where all-in-ones of any type just provide loss-of-system.

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2009 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users