Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple and varied BSODs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

Please find attached; root repeal report (only drive C:\. When I tried to include the 80GB backup drive it crashed) the Mem32Kdiag screengrab of it crashing and a zip of all the minidumps. I'm using bluescreenview, SEVERAL free malewale and rootkit scanners & trendmicro online.

I'm fixing a PC. It first presented with multiple bsod's, virus infection, very corrupted hard drive & a VGA mode video distortion error. I called it "Pixel swipe"; it looked like someone took a rake and swiped it across the screen. It only happened during boot or when in the BIOS and only when it was running for a while. Imagine a XP splash screen, made from sand, being raked from right to left. Thatís kind of what it looked like. I took pictures and could post them it needed. I updated the Nvidia drivers. That seemed to fix the video errors. I ran Seatools for the drive, memtest for the ram, I ran housecall.trendmicro and removed the infected files, ran several root kit / maleware / antivirus scanners. I ran check disk with sector recovery (it has no bad sectors), I removed all freeware and installed Norton 360 v2.5 and installed an older 80GB HD as a Backup drive on E:\. Updated the drivers & made sure the OS & all running software are up to date.

I returned the PC and it came back a week later with 3 bsodís. The video was all distorted again so I replaced the video card with an older, less demanding PCIx ATI Radeon card. Ran chkdsk again (came up with corrupted files) and returned it.

It ran fine for almost 6 weeks.

Now the bsodís start again. First few at 4 Oíclock in the morning so they go undetected by the end-user. Then they get a whole bunch while they're using it. After questioning I determine the only common occurrence is that Firefox is running every time. I leave FF running with multiple tabs open and I eventually start getting multiple FF crashes eventually leading to a black screen (would not come out of sleep) and upon reboot I find it bsod'd last night.

Here is everything I think you guys need (according to the posts I've read) to come up with a possible diagnosis.

FF is up to date - hell, everything is up to date as far as I know.

This is a 5 month old PC. It has all top shelf, brand name parts. I didn't build it. On paper, none of these problems should be happening. It has passed all the hardware and software tests/scans that a experienced tech would run (I'm over 10 years in the field)

I've come up with; intermittent hardware errors caused by unknown incompatibility and I should replace the drive and reinstall all the software from scratch.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Vince "PCMatters" Marino

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Have you checked the PSU?

CMOS battery?

I don't think that I would ever try to "repair" a system with certain types of malware...I would have to do a clean install before I believed in the integrity of a system where security has been compromised and major damage may have resulted to Windows.

If you intend to troubleshoot the error messages, http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

If you have .dmp files which can be diagnosed, Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

The PSU? What would you suggest? The CMOS battery? All the settings wouldn't be retained if it was the CMOS batt. Would you suggest this for? V

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

A weakening CMOS battery...causes unexpected effects on the system...loss of accurate date/time is the symptom most cited, but this in not the only symptom, IME. As for losing settings, the BIOS will default to the settings most conducive to successful booting.

As for the PSU...I do simple things like substituting a different PSU when I suspect it to be a contributor to system issues.

My approach is...I try to eliminate things from consideration....rather than attempting to make SWAG re what is wrong and what might overcome it.

Louis

#5 Vincent Marino

Vincent Marino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Louis; I will post this in the category you suggest. Before I replace the power supply I want to see what the Firefox & minidump crash log analysis turns up. I don't believe there is a likely chance the PSU is causing the problems before a bad hd could be.

thanks,

V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users