Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please - 2 XP Home Editions On My Comp

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pacm0n

pacm0n

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi Guys,

After a bit of help please:

Today I followed a guide to format my hard drive and re install windows XP home edition. Link to guide: http://www.wikihow.com/Reinstall-Windows-XP-Without-the-CD

Now I thought it had worked ok but when i go into my C drive I've got two file folders one being "Windows" the other being "Windows.0" all it seems to have done is put a additional copy of the operating on my system.

Also when I reboot I get asked which operating system I want to start. :thumbsup:

How do I get rid of both of these off my hard drive and start a fresh with Windows XP; bearing in mind I haven't got the disc as xp was pre installed??

Thanks for you time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:27 AM

What kind ( make model ) of computer do you have?

Do you have the installation disks or the Restore CD's?

Have you made a backup of anything important?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

No installation discs or restore CD's thats why I followed that guide of Wiki. A backup of important files has been made.

#4 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:32 AM

Make and model of computer,

It was one from Tesco all it says on the tower is IQon

#5 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

If, your motherboard is GIGABYTE or ASUS - reboot and press "Delete" several times, untill you're in a BIOS...

Then browse to the boot method / algorithm section of a menu (just don't press anything wrong, while you're doing this!) and [b]change the boot order, so that 1'st option is to boot from a CD-ROM drive, and the 2'nd option is to boot from an HDD (don't forget about setting up 2'nd option to be an HDD!! don't mess up anything else!)

Then exit the BIOS with saving the parameters...

NOW...

Insert your XP install CD... you should now be able to boot from it with no problems.

Then things are very easy...

By analizing the showed instructions on how to do (etc.) - delete all partitions, untill you see only one and only single ALLOCATED SPACE... then press on it with a listed key to "make" or set-up a Windows there (remember, only one should be displayed as an area, and it should be called allocated space).

After that, after the clean install, you should have a fresh new Windows XP on a C drive and only a C drive as an HDD, if you have no other HDDs.

That's it...

ATTENTION: NOW, YOU SHOULD MAKE A BACKUP OF ALL YOUR REALLY IMPORTANT DATA, THAT YOU DON'T WISH TO LOOSE

Cheers, :thumbsup:
rhino1366

Edited by rhino1366, 14 December 2009 - 09:37 AM.

#6 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thanks Rhino,

I haven't got a Install CD. Windows XP was pre installed when my brother brought it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

<<How do I get rid of both of these off my hard drive and start a fresh with Windows XP; bearing in mind I haven't got the disc as xp was pre installed??>>

I'm curious as to how you intend to clean install XP...without a CD or recovery/restore disks...or a restore partition?

Other users would appreciate knowing also :thumbsup:.

As for the two versions...that can be handled. But...no point in going into that since you seem to want neither.

Louis

Since following the directions of the link you provided...did not return the results you wanted...I would not suggest considering that a solution to your situation.

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2009 - 10:10 AM.

#8 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

Yes I want the version installed from the WINN32.EXE as the wikihow link above explains??

#9 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

You was editiing as I was typing, how do I get a disc, it was never provided when the PC was brought?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

If you have your license key written down...you can do a clean install of XP by either having someone burn you a copy of their XP Home CD or simply borrowing one.

You should then be able to do a clean install, with valid license.

I'm just curious...why do you want to ditch both current installs...or what triggered the attempt to reinstall XP anew?

What was the original problem, as you saw it?

Louis

The Windows.0 folder is the newer install. To find out which is which when booting, you have to try each.

#11 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

Ive got my license key.

Its my brothers computer and it was running very very slow, pop ups every 2-3 minutes, windows firewall turning on and off, AVG anti virus turning on and off, basically being a pain in the arse.

If I get a copy of the disc will it wipe the other 2 copies off my hard drive?

#12 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

Right,

Ive managed to delete the new version of windows off of my computer successfully so I'm back with the original one now. I will run some scans and post a hijackthis log to see if you guys can see any problems with the system.

Thanks.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

Do not post a HJT log in this forum...BC has a separate forum for such, HJT Preparation Guide - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Malware issues need more expertise than we think that we have in the XP forum...we try to use the right tools for the right jobs.

Louis

#14 pacm0n

pacm0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

Louis,

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic