Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wireless int. connection and IPTV work, desktop computer int. connection doesn't (LAN)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kacca

kacca

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:02 AM

Windows XP Service Pack 3
Connection: ADSL
AV - Eset, Nod
If I'm supposed to write something else as well, please do say so.

For 6 months it has been working fine. Desktop computer connected to router via LAN (or ethernet, I don't know which expression is the right one), laptop connected wirelessly to that same router, and IPTV connected via LAN.
Then all of a sudden a few nights ago, no internet connection on desktop comp with notification about 'no connectivity or low connectivity'. All indication lamps on the router show as before.
We have so far tried (and nothing worked): (we have good working computer knowledge, but not troubleshooting and stuff)
- restarted router many times
- restarted computer many times
- did a system restore
- unplugged the router's power
- disconnected laptop from the network
- changed the LAN cable for a new one
- changed the IP address from automatically to manually and typed some other addresses (as advised by our ISP who in the end said that we need to reinstall the drivers for network card)
- following our ISP's advice, we tried to find the the driver in device manager, there was a driver named network controller, we thought that was the one and uninstalled it, rebooted the computer and tried to install the driver back from the disk that came with the computer (supposedly all drivers on one disk), but the disk said all drivers are installed. Now we don't have that network controller installed.
Device manager isn't showing any exclamation marks or other marks.
Windows diagnostic says that router is working fine.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but the internet on the laptop is slower than before and many times I get 'web page unavailable, connection time out' and stuff.

Edited by kacca, 14 December 2009 - 08:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click plus sign by Networ Adapters group.

What do you see?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 kacca

kacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click plus sign by Networ Adapters group.

What do you see?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Thanks for trying to help!

Next to Network Adapters it says: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

System (at least this is written in System):

AMD Athlon ™ 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz 786 MB of RAM Physical Address Extension

On the disk that came with the computer it says:
SSeries Motherboards
Support AMD Socket AM2
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / n Force Series Utility CD
Drivers (also written on the disk)
NVIDIA Chipsets
Audio
Network
Serial ATA

If I left something out, please tell me where to look for the information needed.

Thanks a lot!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:58 AM

<<Next to Network Adapters it says: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller>>

Uninstall the driver for that device...reboot the system.

The driver currently installed may be damaged.

Louis

#5 kacca

kacca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

<<Next to Network Adapters it says: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller>>

Uninstall the driver for that device...reboot the system.

The driver currently installed may be damaged.

Louis

Problem solved, though I'm not sure how. First I inserted the disk to verify that the driver is there. Then I opened device manager, right-clicked the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller and clicked uninstall. Then I decided to first reboot and then install the driver from the disk. I ejected the disk and restarted the computer. When it turned on again, the internet connection was working just like before the problem occurred. I did not insert the disk to install the driver. Maybe it happened automatically when the disk was in the drive. Am confused and happy because the problem is solved and now my husband will have his computer back, i.e. stop occupying my laptop :trumpet: what a relief :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

:thumbsup: , well done.

Often times, drivers will already be in the files stored by Windows when installed...on newer motherboards/chipsets, it's unlikely. But when Windows already has them in its store, users don't have to install them manually.

Happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users