Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self initiated shut down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:07 AM

Gooday all. As stated in the topic title, my new W7 installation keeps on shutting it's self down. I am dual booting with PCLOS09 and it is not having these issues, so I am presuming it is a software problem rather than hardware. AMD64 3200+ 2.00ghz, GEforce 9400GT, 2x gb ram. Fully legit copy of W7 Pro. Your input would be appreciated. James.

Edited by wavemaker, 14 December 2009 - 09:54 PM.

When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

Gooday all, an update. I just turned the machine on and it was running fine for around 5/7 minutes. I get a blue screen telling me "windows has shut down to prevent damage to your system. If this is the first time you have seen this screen" and it dropped out before I could read the rest. I am writing this from a new installation of ubuntu on another drive on the same computer and there have been no issues with this. I had not seen the blue screen before but that is because I have not been at the computer when it goes down. Any ideas would be most appreciated. James.

#3 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:34 AM

Gooday all. As stated in the topic title, my new W7 installation keeps on shutting it's self down. I am dual booting with PCLOS09 and it is not having these issues, so I am presuming it is a software problem rather than hardware. AMD64 3200+ 2.00ghz, GEforce 9400GT, 2x gb ram. Fully legit copy of W7 Pro. Your input would be appreciated. James.

Well, blue screens indicate hardware issues,not software. Test the RAM first and get back to us. Also, make sure the video card drivers are the latest. While that is a software issue not hardware, I've seen similar things happen.

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:52 AM

Thank you SanDiegoPaul. I was down at the computer shop this arvo and I asked the young bloke behind the jump about this problem. His opinion was the same as yours. I couldn't be bothered fekkin about with it too much so I did a complete re-install. Formatted the whole HD to NTFS and reinstalled. It's been up and running ok for 3 hours now so I will wait and see if it stays up over night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users