Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vanished folder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pietzki

Pietzki

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:50 AM

Hi all,

A while ago I created a folder on my desktop which I turned into a toolbar by dragging it to the edge of the screen. Today, I turned on my pc, and suddenly the toolbar is empty and the folder gone! I have tried scanning the pc with several file recovery programs (recuva, adeona, and panda) none of which found a trace of any files or the folder itself (not even unrecoverable ones). Another strange thing is that I don't seem to have any extra hard disk space available compared to before this happened, so the files must still be somewhere, right? Does anybody have any idea what else I could try?

(I am running windows vista home premium on a compaq presario notebook)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

Try a system restore or even last known good configuration ! Or have you opened up your hidden files and folders and had a look in there but i would definately try a system restore !
Good Luck ! :huh:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

hi,,,, try this,,,, right click on the tool bar at the bottom of your desktop and select properties click toolbars tab and see if its in there,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Pietzki

Pietzki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:09 PM

I tried both suggestions but to no avail...For some reason there are no restore points even though automatic restore points are turned on...

The folder alse didn't show up in the toolbars tab...

Thanks for the suggestions though!

#5 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:59 PM

Hi!

Have you tried searching for the folder's file contents? Make sure that when you're using the search function, you search "everywhere" and not "Indexed locations".

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users